Splunk Search

Timechart trend over the same interval as the search range

epacke
Path Finder

Hi!

I have a scenario where we have used "| stats count" and gotten the total number for the range that we picked. This has been working fine, but now, we'd like to use timechart to get trends.

However, when using timechart, the number becomes the latest "bucket" instead of the total number.

Example:
Searching with a time range of 60 minutes would give me the value for the last minute.

Been fiddling around with some suggestions but haven't found a reliable solution. This last one:

| timechart [search index=_internal | head 1 | addinfo | eval timerange= info_max_time-info_min_time | eval span=if(round(timerange/3600) == infinity, 1, round(timerange/3600))."h"  | return span] count | appendpipe [stats count | where count=0]

It generates errors like "Error in timechart command. The value for option span (infinityh) is invalid."

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

/Patrik

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Timechart is going to give you a new row for each bucket. Why use timechart if you don't want seperate buckets? Why use head 1 to return the latest bucket? If you were sold on using timechart then you would have to force it to use a single bucket by adding span=60m which would give you identical results of using stats

These 2 queries will give identical results

| bin _time span=60m
| stats count by _time 

| timechart span=60m count
0 Karma

epacke
Path Finder

Timechart is used because I want the trend. Span=60m works but since I have a time picker this would not work for longer search ranges.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...