Splunk Search

Timechart minimum values

dbcase
Motivator

Hi,

I have this data this is retrieved once per hour (more or less on the hour) for the past 7 days.

readyArmed,32335,2018-02-15 12:01:38.646138 -5:00
armed,4743,2018-02-15 12:01:38.646138 -5:00

The first field is the armed state and the second field is the number of customers in that state at that time, the third field is the timestamp.

I've created a simple timechart graph showing the pattern and it looks like this. What I'd like to do is create a similar timechart graph that shows the minimum, maximum and averages of the same data over time.

alt text

Tags (2)
0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion
index=blahalarm STATUS=armed OR STATUS=readyArmed|timechart span=1hr sum(field2) as sum|eventstats max(sum) as max min(sum) as min avg(sum) as avg

based on previous comments, is something like this what you're needing?

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Hi cmerriman,

Interesting idea doing the post processing with eventstats. I gave it a shot and here is what happened

Time period X

Sum Value=37604 (this is good)
Avg Value=41271 (looks good)
Max Value=60718 (looks good)
Min Value=25947 (looks good)

Here is where the trouble shows up

Time period Y

Sum Value=37418 (this is good)
Avg Value=41271 (identical to time period X - possible but very unlikely)
Max Value=60718 (identical to time period X - possible but very unlikely)
Min Value=25947 (identical to time period X - possible but very unlikely)

Time period Z

Sum Value=36751 (this is good)
Avg Value=41271 (identical to time period X & Y - possible but extremely unlikely)
Max Value=60718 (identical to time period X & Y - possible but extremely unlikely)
Min Value=25947 (identical to time period X & Y - possible but extremely unlikely)

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

can you give a sample output of what the data should look like? I thought you meant the overall max/min/avg of sum when you stated you needed to represent the avg of the sum, min of the sum, and max of the sum. i suppose you could use streamstats instead of eventstats, and that would be a moving min/max/avg.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/streamstats

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

If you just want the min/max/avg over the same period that your sum is over, this should work:

earliest=-100hr index=blahalarm STATUS=armed OR STATUS=readyArmed|timechart span=1hr sum(field2) as sum, avg(field2) AS avg, min(field2) AS min, max(field2) AS max
0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Hi Michahkemp,

Thanks! its close but not quite and I wasn't clear so lemme try again.

I would like the sum of field 2 min, max and avg not just field2

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

are you wanting it by state? or are there other fields that you want min, max, avg of?

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

State can be armed or readyArmed, for this report they are essentially the same thing which is why I am summing the two values into one.

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Once summed I need to represent the sum, the avg of the sum, the minimum of the sum, and the maximum of the sum

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

There are no other values in the data (I tried to keep in simple)

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Oh sorry, should have included my query

earliest=-100hr index=blahalarm STATUS=armed OR STATUS=readyArmed|timechart span=1hr sum(field2) as ar
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...