Splunk Search

This delim in my query is not working, how could I possibly solve this problem?

Berfomet96
Explorer

Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to Splunk, I've recently joined a job as a security analist in a SOC where I get to use this cool tool. This question is kind of a continuation to my previos post:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Help-on-query-to-filter-incoming-traffic-to-a-firewall...

I had to make a query to do two things:

• First, look for any potential policy with any ports enabled.
  • Second, find out which of these policies were allowing or teardowning request coming from public IP addresses.

For this I came up with this query which does the work imo:

index="sourcedb" sourcetype=fgt_traffic host="external_firewall_ip" action!=blocked 
| eventstats dc(dstport) as different_ports by policyid 
| where different_ports>=5 
| eval source_ip=if(cidrmatch("10.0.0.0/8", src) OR cidrmatch("192.168.0.0/16", src) OR cidrmatch("172.16.0.0/12", src),"private","public") 
| where source_ip="public" 
| eval policy=if(isnull(policyname),policyid,policyid+" - "+policyname) 
| eval port_list=if(proto=6,"tcp",if(proto=17,"udp","proto"+proto))+"/"+dstport | dedup port_list 
| table source policy different_ports port_list 
| mvcombine delim=", " port_list

However, the problem I'm having is that the port list is being shown like if it was one big list, like this:

I'd like for it to show like this:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I've also tried replacing the table command with a stats delim=", " value(port_list) but I've had no success.

I'd appreciate if you could give me some insight on how could I solve this, I had in mind trying mvjoin but had no clue on how to approach it.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venky1544
Builder

Hi @Berfomet96 

just try the nomv command after your delim command it should work it will convert the values of the specified multivalue field into one single value

|mvcombine delim="," port_list |nomv portlist

Example 

|makeresults |eval port_list="1"
|append [|makeresults |eval port_list="2"]
|append [|makeresults |eval port_list="3"] |fields - _time | mvcombine delim="," port_list
| nomv port_list

Nots: if it helps karma is appreciated/if it resolves acceptance of solution is appreciated

View solution in original post

venky1544
Builder

Hi @Berfomet96 

just try the nomv command after your delim command it should work it will convert the values of the specified multivalue field into one single value

|mvcombine delim="," port_list |nomv portlist

Example 

|makeresults |eval port_list="1"
|append [|makeresults |eval port_list="2"]
|append [|makeresults |eval port_list="3"] |fields - _time | mvcombine delim="," port_list
| nomv port_list

Nots: if it helps karma is appreciated/if it resolves acceptance of solution is appreciated

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...