Splunk Search

Summary-Index: Is it possible to summary index the averages of two calculated fields in the same search?

hofer
Explorer

So i got this report running all 15min and saving into my summary index:

index=mbs_li host="vimapmop*" sourcetype=Message | timechart span=1m avg(Message_DURATION_whole) AS ms

Now there are 2 durations in an original event, one is the Message_DURATION_whole and one the Message_DURATION_part1.
I'd like to have both the averages (see search above) of them in my summary index event. These two fields are field extractions.
Is this possible or do I have to just add another report, which makes almost the same, but with the other duration?

Thank you very much

0 Karma
1 Solution

ngatchasandra
Builder

Hi hofer,

This is possible!

You will write your request like this:

index=mbs_li host="vimapmop*" sourcetype=Message | timechart span=1m avg(Message_DURATION_whole) AS ms, avg(Message_DURATION_part1) AS ms2 

View solution in original post

ngatchasandra
Builder

Hi hofer,

This is possible!

You will write your request like this:

index=mbs_li host="vimapmop*" sourcetype=Message | timechart span=1m avg(Message_DURATION_whole) AS ms, avg(Message_DURATION_part1) AS ms2 

juvetm
Communicator

Hi
can you try to use the eval commad i think this may help o solve you problem

0 Karma

hofer
Explorer

Thank you, ngatchasandra.
@juvetm, yes this is also possible, but unfortunately "eval" doesn't go with "avg". But for example a straight line, this works great.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...