Splunk Search

Subsearch to return hostname vs IP

Blu3fish
Path Finder

I'm attempting to run a given search to return bandwidth hogs by MBs downloaded. I have a search that will successfully return the values I'm after though what I'd like to do is go one step further and translate the src IP into the src Hostname for a given user (which I can do currently from the dhcp templates app).

Search for bandwidth hogs:
index=network sourcetype=firewall status=accept dst_int=port9 OR dst_int=port10 | eval mb=rcvd/1024/1024 | stats sum(mb) as "MBs Downloaded" by src app | sort -"MBs Downloaded"

Search for ip to hostname (src_ip taken from the initial search's "src" field):
eventtype=dhcpd_event src_ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx | fields src_host

I'm pretty certain what I'm after can be accomplished via a subsearch but this is where I'm on shaky legs. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Hmm, one way to do it would be by using join, but that can be expensive.

index=network sourcetype=firewall status=accept dst_int=port9 OR dst_int=port10 | rename src AS src_ip | join src_ip [search index=<your_index> eventtype=dhcpd_event | fields src_ip, src_host] eval mb=rcvd/1024/1024 | stats sum(mb) AS "MB Downloaded" by src_ip app | sort - "MB Downloaded"  

I haven't tried this out on any sample data - I just inserted the subsearch and a rename into your existing query. It will perhaps not work out of the box, and there are probably more efficient ways of doing this. Give it a try, though and let us know.

Hope this helps,

Kristian

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Good to hear that it worked. Sorry about the mixing the ip/host thingy, but it was 1AM when I wrote that... 🙂

Please mark the answer as accepted, Thank you.

/Kristian

0 Karma

Blu3fish
Path Finder

That worked very well. I made a slight change to your search as I wanted to return the src_host value rather than src_ip. But simply swapping those fields and voila!

Thank you very much, Kristian. This had stumped me for some time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...