Splunk Search

Stats count query across possible fields from multiple sources?

spark2310
Explorer

I am trying to create an alert but some issues with logging that is not standard, so each sourcetype has it's own certain fieldname for error levels (e.g. type), and another certain fieldname for their error message (e.g. msg, or Massage)... in other words, I know the possible field values common across sourcetypes and eventually wanting to timechart or stat to cover all possible fields regardless of data source

This still does not work and if a certain field does not exist, all results will be null. any ideas or a different way to do it?

My query: index=t sourcetype=* (type=error OR T=error OR Level=Critical) (msg=* OR MSG=* OR Message=* OR message=* OR reason=*) |eval MM=msg."".MSGmsg."".Message."".message."".reason|timechart count by MM

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Concatenation will not solve that problem. You want the coalesce function. It chooses the first non-null field from its arguments as its result, which is exactly what you need when some fields are present in some events, but not others.

index=t sourcetype= (type=error OR T=error OR Level=Critical) (msg= OR MSG= OR Message= OR message= OR reason=) 
|eval MM=coalesce(msg,  MSGmsg, Message, message, reason) 
|timechart count by MM
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Concatenation will not solve that problem. You want the coalesce function. It chooses the first non-null field from its arguments as its result, which is exactly what you need when some fields are present in some events, but not others.

index=t sourcetype= (type=error OR T=error OR Level=Critical) (msg= OR MSG= OR Message= OR message= OR reason=) 
|eval MM=coalesce(msg,  MSGmsg, Message, message, reason) 
|timechart count by MM
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...