Splunk Search

Stats count by when field exists, otherwise use another

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I am trying to create a dashboard that graphs the parsing queue size for a HF by ingest_pipe. I noticed that most of these logs have that field but some don't (i'm not sure why).

sample logs

06-03-2020 12:21:30.964 -0400 INFO  Metrics - group=queue, name=parsingqueue, max_size_kb=512, current_size_kb=0, current_size=0, largest_size=2, smallest_size=0

06-03-2020 12:21:27.144 -0400 INFO  Metrics - group=queue, ingest_pipe=3, name=parsingqueue, max_size_kb=6144, current_size_kb=0, current_size=0, largest_size=2, smallest_size=0

06-03-2020 12:21:27.142 -0400 INFO  Metrics - group=queue, ingest_pipe=2, name=parsingqueue, max_size_kb=6144, current_size_kb=0, current_size=0, largest_size=11778, smallest_size=0

current SPL

index=_internal host=$hostToken$ group=queue name=parsingqueue
| timechart avg(current_size_kb) by ingest_pipe

I can't modify the search with ingest_pipe=* because I have tokenized the host field in the search and some of my HF's only have 1 ingest pipe. In that scenario, there is no ingest_pipe field at all so hardcoding that into the search will result in 0 results when the HF only has 1 pipeline.

The solution I came up with is to count the # of events where ingest_pipe exists (yesPipe), count the # of events where it does not exist (noPipe), and assign my count by foo value to the field that is greater. If yesPipe is greater, count by ingest_pipe, else count by host. I don't have the query for these counts and checks.

Alternatively, I thought I could use a lookup table that has a "count by field" column, where per host I simply specify either ingest_pipe or host to count by.

I feel like there is an easy solution and I'm overthinking it. Any ideas?

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try fillnull.

| fillnull value=0 ingest_pipe
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try fillnull.

| fillnull value=0 ingest_pipe
---

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

So when ingest_pipe is not there, it gives it a value of 0, and when it is present, it does nothing?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is what fillnull does, yes.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...