Splunk Search

Splunkd crash after some time with below errors- How do I fix?

vikasg
Loves-to-Learn

ERROR HttpListener [97417 TcpChannelThread] - Exception while processing request from x.x.x.x:63596 for /en-US/splunkd/__raw/services/search/shelper?output_mode=json&snippet=true&snippetEmbedJS=false&namespace=search&search=search%20i&useTypeahead=true&showCommandHelp=true&showCommandHistory=true&showFieldInfo=false&_=1664562934323: std::bad_alloc

Any help please 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vikasg,

every time you have a crash I hint to open a case to Splunk Support, for your support and to highlight a possible issue!

Anyway, some question to better undertand your situation:

• after the chash, does your Splunk server normally work?
  • have you the minimum hardware resources for your Splunk Server?
  • Are you speaking of a Splunk Server or a Universal Forwarder?
  • If a Splunk Server, what's its role?
  • It's a Linux or Windows Operative System?
  • Ciao.

Giuseppe

vikasg
Loves-to-Learn

Thank you for the response . This is latest splunk that 9.0.1 and Single Linux box for POC . It has 32 GB RAM with 16 CPU , this is SH come indexer

Ulimit is set as per recommendation .

THP is disabled 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vikasg,

your hardware and your configuration (ulimit and THP) are correct, so I hint to make a Diag (they surely will ask you) and to open a case to Splunk Support.

They will be able to analize your system to understand what happened

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

vikasg
Loves-to-Learn

Since it is POC and I am using trial license for 60 days , I do not think I can open support case on this trial license . 

I am digging this further , found few things which cause the issue

Finding 

1) I have moved to older Splunk version like to 8.2.6.1

2) Under ulimit I set maximum memory to like 80% of the over all 

3) after installation I gave like 1 hour to the machine to settle , then start ingesting data with low rate 

4) NOw I am increasing data flow rate

5) Since it was POC so I ran splunk service with root user only , but now created splunk user and set ulimit accordingly 

6) Tweaked some data model acceleration which was were aggressive earlier   (actually same machine is acting as indexer and SH ) so better to start slow and gradually increase 

I hope this will help someone , I am still not accepting my own answer as I am sure I will have few more findings  which I will add to this comment 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vikasg.

if you are a customer, you can ask to Splunk Sales to follow your case, if you are a Splunk partner you can ask to your Splunk Channel Manager to do the same thing! in other words you will not be abandoned!

Anyway:

• 1) I have moved to older Splunk version like to 8.2.6.1

• it should not be relevant,
  •  

2) Under ulimit I set maximum memory to like 80% of the over all 

• you have much more memeory than requested, so it shouldn't be the problem
  •  

3) after installation I gave like 1 hour to the machine to settle , then start ingesting data with low rate 

• not relevant
  •  

4) NOw I am increasing data flow rate

•  

not relevant

• 5) Since it was POC so I ran splunk service with root user only , but now created splunk user and set ulimit accordingly 

• are you sure to set the correct ulimit?
    • I encountered some problems about this: did you used ilimit -c or changed the values in /etc/security/limits.conf?
    • the correct one is the second:
      • /etc/security/limits.conf

• user_name hard nofile 8192

• user_name soft nofile 8192

•  

6) Tweaked some data model acceleration which was were aggressive earlier   (actually same machine is acting as indexer and SH ) so better to start slow and gradually increase 

• your hardware should give you all the requested performances

Check if it was a momentary lap of reason (to quote Pink Floyd!) or it's something repeated.

In other words, monitor your system to understand if the situation will repeat.

You can also check your system using the Splunk Monitoring Console App (default Splunk)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

vikasg
Loves-to-Learn

I Agree on the points where you mentioned that is it is not relevant, but some how it is working for me .Let me explain why I think . I am installing apps like Event gen , Security essentials, CIM and my custome apps that have DM with Acceleration. What I believe is rather turning on everything at same time I should have wait on each step . I saw some search lag issues as I monitor my instance , after install and with old approach my RAM got sudden hike system hung and spluknd crashed . 

I just changed my approach and things started working  ,Now I have turned on all inputs and I am not observing any crash from last 1 hour , DM are accelerating, Event gen is generating good amount of logs   . Earlier it was failing after every 10 min 

on Ulimit it is permanently  set in  

• /etc/security/limits.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...