Splunk Search

Splunk sizing: where is the search concurrency information?

cmeo
Contributor

I've been reviewing the information around sizing Splunk installations and it seems to distill--at its simplest--to two key dimensions: data volume and search concurrency. While historical data volumes are relatively easy to get, it seems to be a lot harder to assemble interactive search activity and saved search activity into some kind of picture of overall search concurrency over a time period.

Does anyone know where Splunk hides all the info you'd need to do this? A lot of the wiki entries seem to be out of date; SoS app gives this problem a good college try, but while the scheduled search stuff seems fine, it uses ps and investigates the command line for the interactive stuff which seems a bit random--surely this information is stored elsewhere in Splunk?

Anyway you need all these things (and more of course) to size Splunk properly, and it's fairly strange that you don't seem to be able to get this out of the box. Especially when nearly everyone uses pilot projects to arrive at real sizing...somehow!

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you're using 6.x you can find that information in Activity (upper right hand corner) >> System Activity >> Search activity overview - or you can get to the raw data using the following search:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=search_concurrency "system total" NOT user=* 

cmeo
Contributor

found yet another variant:

| history | timechart span=1d count(search)

different again...so which one do I trust?

0 Karma

asimagu
Builder

did you try using dc(search) ?

0 Karma

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

use/trust metrics.log

0 Karma

cmeo
Contributor

I need history as well as current activity. Trying these two searches at the moment:

index=_audit action=search info=granted search=* NOT "search_id='scheduler" NOT "search='|history" NOT "user=splunk-system-user" NOT "search='typeahead" NOT "search='| metadata type=* | search totalCount>0" | timechart span=1m count(search)

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=search_concurrency "system total" NOT user=* | timechart span=1m count(_raw)

They are returning results that are different, the second giving counts very much larger than the first. Is there a canonical answer to this question? Unless there is, I'll go with the second and hope for the best...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...