Splunk Search

Splunk search throws "Your Splunk license expired or you have exceeded your license limit too many times" even after extension of my free trail license

murthychitturi

My free license has expired. I have requested to extend and they extended the trail license. Below is the error I am facing when trying to search:

.Error in 'litsearch' command: Your Splunk license expired or you have exceeded your license limit too many times. Renew your Splunk license by visiting www.splunk.com/store or calling 866.GET.SPLUNK.search results may be incomplete: the search process on the local peer:lsl30075 ended prematurely. Please check the local peer log, such as $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log and as well as the search.log for the particular search

and in the splunkd.log, I can see the below errors

WARN  IndexConfig - Max bucket size is larger than the index size limit. Please check your index configuration. idx=summary; bucket size in MB (from maxDataSize) 750, maxTotalDataSizeMB=5

and this errror/warn shows on all of my indexes.

How to get rid of these messages? Is there a way to delete the indexed data?

Urgent help needed.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

What are license violations and warnings?

says -

-- Search capabilities return when you have fewer than 5 (Enterprise) or 3 (Free) warnings in the previous 30 days, or when you apply a temporary reset license (available for Enterprise only). To obtain a reset license, contact your sales rep. See the Installation Manual for instructions on how to apply it.

Free License Violation - How to Fix and Prevent Recurrence

says -

-- To regain search you need to go without violations for 30 days or ** just do a clean install ** and migrate your old configs and indexes over.

rafamss
Contributor

Hi murthy,

Once you violate your license searching will be blocked until a reset (only available to enterprise customers) is applied or you return to license compliance (30 days without exceeding the license limit). Only if you buy a larger license you will restore search functionality.

0 Karma

murthychitturi

HI ,

I have reset to my licensing to my enterprise trail licence. I can seee all the alerts and reports but search is not functiong.

0 Karma

rafamss
Contributor

Check if the parameter maxDataSize < maxTotalDataSizeMB in indexes.conf file. Here is more information about indexes.conf configuration.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.1/Admin/Indexesconf

If you want, post the lines of this parameters and we looking for errors or others.

This files is in SplunkHome/splunk/etc/system/local. Do not wiggle in this file when they is on .../default

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...