Hello,

I have data that comes in via JSON format that looks like this:

name: Item1
pricePerOne:10

name: Item2
pricePerOne: 12

name: Item3
pricePerOne: 120

I need to run a search that takes an amount of Item1 and an amount of Item2 and compares that total to Item3.

For example, in order to make 1 of Item3 I need 5 of Item1 and 3 of Item2. I want to compare the total pricePerOne of the multiple items to the pricePerOne of just 1 Item3.

Since I cant just do Item1*5 and Item2*3 since they arent numbers I have to somehow tell splunk to find the pricePerOne for each item and multiply those separately and then take a total.

How would I accomplish this in a search? I have tried using multiple where/eval clauses and using subsearch commands but that doesnt seem to work.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Show us sample events along with a mockup of the desired output. Does each event contain all 3 items?

0 Karma

Tylerdygert
Path Finder

Here are 3 sample events:
Note: these events are being pulled from a game database. This is test data being used to work with the MLTK for a project.
chooseKey: 0
count: 0
grade: 0
keyType: 0
mainCategory: 25
mainKey: 9065
name: Milk
pricePerOne: 10600
subCategory: 8
subKey: 0
totalTradeCount: 67879068

count: 14411
mainKey: 7921
name: Chicken Meat
pricePerOne: 960
subCategory: 6
totalTradeCount: 199878658

count: 94950
grade: 3
mainCategory: 35
mainKey: 9631
name: Knight Combat Rations
pricePerOne: 29800
subCategory: 4
totalTradeCount: 13579277

Every event has all of these fields.

I need to be able to multiply the pricePerOne field by different numbers for all different items and take totals of that.

For example, the Knight Combat Rations can require 8 milk and 4 chicken meat to craft. So I need to know what 8 milk and 4 chicken meat cost and to compare that to 1 knight combat ration. But, other items might require different amounts of milk and chicken meat to craft or completely different items.

0 Karma

aberkow
Builder

I think you're on the right track with wanting to do eval and if/where clauses, but first you need to parse that JSON field. The best command for that is spath https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.2/SearchReference/Spath#Basic_examples, so the syntax could be something like

index=whatever...
| spath field1 output=name
| spath field2 output=pricePerOne
| eval pricePerOne=case(name="Item1", pricePerOne*5, name="Item2", pricePerOne*3)

This should handle extraction and more neatly multiplying the pricePerOne field if you want it to always be multiplied by a constant. Since I don't know the exact structure of your JSON you might need to play around a bit with the spath command before you get the output how you want it, but I think this is a path that might work for you.

Let me know if this helps!

0 Karma

Tylerdygert
Path Finder

My data is already parsed at the heavy forwarder.

This is an example of one event currently:
count: 4008
mainKey: 9065
name: Milk
pricePerOne: 10700
subCategory: 8
totalTradeCount: 67771182

I need to somehow tell my formula to look for the pricePerOne value for each individual item i need while excluding all the other items (there are hundreds of items in total) and then take a total value. Spath doesn't really seem to be that answer looking at the documentation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...