Splunk Search

Splunk Rex query to extract field after a particular exact word only

jonthree
Explorer

So this is my sample data :

10.3.31.252 - - 15/Mar/2021:14:06:28 +0000 "POST /usenames/rest/sessionscookie dest oamdashboard-oamdashboard.myapp.com/usenames/rest/sessionscookie location usenames upstream_host 10.3.58.247:80 response_from_above 401 user- - - - - myuser myuser 1

I want to extract the status code from this string (which is 401) and user value which is myuser (BOLD sentence mentioned in above logs)

How should i write a rex for this in splunk search query ? Also it may happen that status code does not contain any value and instead of 401, value will be simply hyphen(-).

Also, hyphens after user field may vary and i want exactly 5 hyphens to match the word, otherwise not.

I tried to achieve this by using following:

| rex "response_from_above (?<status>\d+) user - - - - - (?<userid>\w+)" but i am not able to figure this out.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Vardhan
Contributor

Hi @jonthree,

You can search the status logs using search command.

| rex "response_from_above\s+(?<status>\d+)\s+user.*\s+(?<user>\w+)\s+\w+\s+\d" |search status=401

This search will only return status 401 logs.

If this answer helps you then up vote it.

View solution in original post

Vardhan
Contributor

Hi,

use the below regex.

| rex "response_from_above\s+(?<status>\d+)\s+user.*\s+(?<user>\w+)\s+\w+\s+\d"

jonthree
Explorer

Thanks. Also, how do i search for a particular status on this ..like if i want to search the logs having 401 status code only and not with status code 200 or 500 ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Vardhan
Contributor

Hi @jonthree,

You can search the status logs using search command.

| rex "response_from_above\s+(?<status>\d+)\s+user.*\s+(?<user>\w+)\s+\w+\s+\d" |search status=401

This search will only return status 401 logs.

If this answer helps you then up vote it.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...