Splunk Search

Splunk Query

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

Can you please help me to design a Splunk query to show whether a particular user has been coming into the office at Mascot (and/ or Erskine Park), or otherwise working from home (or elsewhere).

I'd like to structure the results to show a table listing logon time and IP address - like this:

Workstation    Last Login          User
 10.11.12.13    15-11-01 10:00:00   user1
 10.12.13.14    15-11-01 15:34:02

Regards,

Rahul

Labels (1)
0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta 

As @gcusello mentioned there should be some data in your logs associated to User being already logged in from a place. You have to dig through logs under the index you mentioned to find the location/address/IP from the user logged in. Alternatively you can provide the sample events how they looks like as we do not have insights into your data.

The data could be sensitive to your company confidential then you have to mask/alter it before you share here for your confidentiality.

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @venkatasri ,

Just found the logs associated to User.

index=main sourcetype="activedirectory". I want to add IP Address column as well but couldn't find in interesting fields. please help us to do this.

rahul2gupta_0-1624949423985.png

We can only fetch last 14 days events but I checked the configuration of index=main and the retention period was 6 months . Also, please help me to understand this.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

I'd like to help you, but youshould explain how can we define the location of a user, the only way I can see (tell me if there's something helpful else ) is the IP address:

e.g.

if IP address is 10.11.*.* the location is Mascot

if IP address is 10.12.*.* the location is Erskine Park,

otherwise is outside

can this condition to be correct?

if this is the condition to define the user location, you can use a simple if or case condition in an eval command, something like this:

your_search
| eval location=if(substr(Workstation,1,5)="10.11","Mascot",if(substr(Workstation,1,5)="10.12","Erskine Park","Outside")), "Last Login"=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| table Workstation "Last Login" User

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

You mentioned Your_search in the query that you provided but I'm not sure what to use in my search as user  has just asked to show a user’s working location. Can you please me on this.

I used index = security sourcetype=history* but it didn't helped me.

rahul2gupta_0-1624932475318.png

Regards,

Rahul Gupta

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...