Splunk Search

Splunk - Join two queries from same index and eventtype

mikeyemane

I have the following two events from the same index (VPN). I've been unable to try and join two searches to get a table of users logged in to VPN, srcip, and sessions (if logged out 4911 field). I'm able to pull out this infor if I search individually but unable to combine. Thanks for the help.

259 <166>1 2018-03-21T10:13:45-04:00 abc.defg.net PulseSecure: - - - 2018-03-21 10:13:45 - ive - [12.34.56.78] DHI\john(VPN)[VPN] - Login succeeded for FHI\john/VPN (session:be1c9211) from 12.34.56.78 with Open AnyConnect VPN Agent v7.08

276 <166>1 2018-03-21T11:35:39-04:00 abc.defg.net PulseSecure: - - - 2018-03-21 11:35:39 - ive - [12.34.56.78] DHI\john(VPN)[VPN] - Closed connection to TUN-VPN port 443 after 4911 seconds, with 2171883 bytes read (in 6 chunks) and 90236 bytes written (in 8 chunks)

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I interpret your events correctly, this query should do the job. The three rex commands extract the desired fields then the stats command puts the events together by userid.

index=juniper-mag host=abc.defg.net ("Login succeeded" OR "Closed connection") | rex "\]\s(?<userid>[^\(]+)" | rex "Login succeeded.*from (?<srcip>[^\s]+)" | rex "after\s(?<duration>\d+)\sseconds" | stats earliest(_time) as sessionStart latest(_time) as sessionEnded values(duration) as duration values(srcip) as srcip by userid | fieldformat sessionStart=strftime(sessionStart,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%:z") | fieldformat sessionEnded=strftime(sessionEnded,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%:z")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I interpret your events correctly, this query should do the job. The three rex commands extract the desired fields then the stats command puts the events together by userid.

index=juniper-mag host=abc.defg.net ("Login succeeded" OR "Closed connection") | rex "\]\s(?<userid>[^\(]+)" | rex "Login succeeded.*from (?<srcip>[^\s]+)" | rex "after\s(?<duration>\d+)\sseconds" | stats earliest(_time) as sessionStart latest(_time) as sessionEnded values(duration) as duration values(srcip) as srcip by userid | fieldformat sessionStart=strftime(sessionStart,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%:z") | fieldformat sessionEnded=strftime(sessionEnded,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%:z")
---

mikeyemane

Thank you. This gave me what I was looking for. Response from kyaparla was also good. Thank you both.

0 Karma

kyaparla
Path Finder

please try this.

index=juniper-mag host=abc.defg.net "Login succeeded" OR "Closed connection" | eval fields=split(_raw, " ") | eval user=mvindex(fields,14) | eval duration=mvindex(fields,23)| eval srcip=mvindex(fields, 13) | stats latest(_time) as time latest(duration) as duration by user,srcip | convert ctime(time) as time

0 Karma

BearMormont
Path Finder

Didn't even notice they were the same index and host. This is much better. 🙂

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What are your two searches that you want to combine?

---
0 Karma

mikeyemane

Thanks for help Rich. First event shows userid, time session started, and srcip. Second event shows the same, except time session ended and session duration (4911 seconds). I want to generate a table of userid, srcip, time session started, time session ended, and duration. Here are the two searches that kind of get me what I'm looking for:

index=juniper-mag host=abc.defg.net _raw="Login succeeded" | eval fields=split(_raw, " ") | eval user=mvindex(fields,14) | eval srcip=mvindex(fields, 13) | table _time user srcip

index=juniper-mag host=abc.defg.net _raw="Closed connection" | eval fields=split(_raw, " ") | eval duration=mvindex(fields,23) | table _time user duration

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...