Splunk Search

Splunk DB Connect: Can the lookup table for defining extra fields in a datamodel be a dblookup?

kundeng
Path Finder

It seems that the lookup table for defining extra fields in datamodel can not be a dblookup (database lookup)? Can someone confirm this is the case and not a bug?

The dblookup works fine in standalone search, but I am not able to make it to work in datamodel editor.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think that's correct... if you can take a bit of delay in recognizing the new schema, you can use the dblookup to regularly generate a new Splunk lookup.

0 Karma

sanjay_shrestha
Contributor

Could you pls elaborate more what do you mean by "you can use the dblookup to regularly generate a new Splunk lookup"?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

a saved search that looks something like this:
dblookup mydb "select * from mytable" | outputlookup mylookup
then you use mylookup in your searches

0 Karma

sanjay_shrestha
Contributor

Did you mean |dbquery instead of |dblookup.
I was using |dbquery but the lookup file kept growing and its huge. To avoid this we also wanted to implement dblookup in datamodel.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

d'oh -- yes, that is what i meant... can you use a SQL limit to keep the size of your query down?

0 Karma

sanjay_shrestha
Contributor

no as lookup can be done to any record for last one year.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

maybe it would work better to dbquery blah | dedup eventid | collect mysummary?

0 Karma

sanjay_shrestha
Contributor

We thought about that but not preferable to create new summary index in this case.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...