Splunk Search

Splunk App for AWS: How do I resolve error "The search specifies a macro 'aws-description-instance' that cannot be foun

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

How do I resolve the  following error?

sample 1.PNG

Error in 'SearchParser': The search specifies a macro 'aws-cloudtrail-sourcetype' that cannot be found. Reasons include: the macro name is misspelled, you do not have "read" permission for the macro, or the macro has not been shared with this application. Click Settings, Advanced search, Search Macros to view macro information.

Labels (1)

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

screen.JPG

0 Karma

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi 

I assume why i am getting error is because the below macro are not seen in the search macros

`aws-cloudtrail-sourcetype` eventName=StopInstances OR eventName=RebootInstances OR eventName=TerminateInstances NOT errorCode | rename "requestParameters.instancesSet.items{}.instanceId" AS instanceId | stats values(instanceId) as instanceId count(instanceId) as count by awsRegion eventName eventTime userIdentity.arn eventID

However i tried clone the existing macro and tried to create a new one , still i am getting an error message when saving. 

Err msg " Encountered the following error while trying to save: Number of arguments provided (1) does not match with the number implied by the macro name (0)"

0 Karma

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi 

Yes i am able to see the macro , also have permission to Edit , Enable or disable.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ohk, on the settings, advanced search, search macros, are you able to search/view that macro -  'aws-cloudtrail-sourcetype' ...probably, as you have some permissions issues, you may not be able to "Read" it, i think. if you are running this from "search" app, try to run it from some other app(just in case, if this macro is not shared with "search" app).
if still you face the same error, then, you will need to check with splunk admins/power users/aws splunk admins for read permission. 

0 Karma

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi 

I assume why i am getting error is because the below macro are not seen in the search macros

`aws-cloudtrail-sourcetype` eventName=StopInstances OR eventName=RebootInstances OR eventName=TerminateInstances NOT errorCode | rename "requestParameters.instancesSet.items{}.instanceId" AS instanceId | stats values(instanceId) as instanceId count(instanceId) as count by awsRegion eventName eventTime userIdentity.arn eventID

However i tried clone the existing macro and tried to create a new one , still i am getting an error message when saving. 

Err msg " Encountered the following error while trying to save: Number of arguments provided (1) does not match with the number implied by the macro name (0)"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...