Splunk Search

Splunk 6.5.0: How to access the first row from the search result in a dashboard?

adevi
Explorer

Recently upgraded to Splunk 6.5.0. I am trying to access the first row from the search result in a dashboard. In version 6.3.2, there was an event handler 'finalized' which provides access to the first row

Documentation from version 6.3.2 : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Viz/tokens#Define_search_tokens

But in 6.5.0 there is no 'finalized' handler. Only handlers available are progress, done, cancel, error, fail and none of those provide access to first row of the result

Documentation from version 6.5.0: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Viz/tokens#Define_search_tokens

Is there any workaround? Is it done differently in 6.5.0?

adevi
Explorer

I think its a typo in the 6.5 documentation. The done handler provides access to first row of the result. When I tried to access result.field-name in the done handler it worked . I tried eval to set the token which did not work but set token worked.

rjthibod
Champion

Please put a comment on the documentation page asking them to update the table. They will typically do it pretty quickly.

0 Karma

svenwendler
Path Finder

eval works for me using eg. tostring($result.$)

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

In your search, can you just add |head 1

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

I am not sure you understand. @adevi is trying to use the $result.FIELD$ feature that was in 6.3 and 6.4, but seems to be gone in 6.5. This feature allowed one to assign the result from the first row to a token for other uses in the Dashboard.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

Yeah I know that it tokens it. But then if they only brought the one row back, they could use done or another to token.

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

This is quite frustrating if they took out <finalized> without giving comparable capabilities in SimpleXML. Can someone from Splunk please clarify.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...