Splunk Search

Show bar chart labels in the bar

chapa
Explorer

Currently Splunk puts the bar chart labels off to the left and truncates them which makes things really hard to read:
alt text

Is there any way to view the label of a bar on the actual bar itself like this:
alt text

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

create a custom.css in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/appName/appserver/static

Put this in the css file: (add any other styling youd like between the {}, separate each with semi-colons, end with semi-colon)
g.highcharts-axis-labels.highcharts-xaxis-labels {transform: translateX(200px); }

Edit your dashboard code to have the ref to the custom stylesheet:
<dashboard stylesheet="custom.css">
OR your form:
<form stylesheet="custom.css">

Restart Splunk to enable the css

Upvote and accept my answer 😉

alt text

chapa
Explorer

Thanks jkat54, I'll give it a try!

0 Karma

chapa
Explorer

I just went in a tried this, unfortunately if you have other non-bar chart panels like a linechart, it move that text as well. It also moves the text in weird positions if the window is resized.

Also, it doesn't solve for the fact that splunk truncates my labels.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

well then... "if you give a mouse a cookie", it is...

the ellipsis is handled by js_charting.js and I'm not sure how to override it without hacking the main code. That gets you off in "unsupported land" and doesnt persist through upgrades. So I will not advise that you do that. What you can do is file an enhancement/improvement request and maybe they'll fold it into the main build so you can disable ellipsis when you like.

If however, you can image the url you have looking like this:

https://localhost:8000/en-US/manager/bleaf/data/ui/views/transaction_conversion?action=edit&ns=bleaf...

There's no way you're going to fit that on your graph neatly. The truncation is there to save you from yourself. Here's what I recommend that you do instead. Use evals to rename the values. For example:

|eval url=if(match(url,".*api.abc.mywebsite.com.*"),"API ABC",if(match(url,"checkout.html"),"Checkout",url))

This way, you know what page it is without seeing the full URL.

As for the resizing issue... make your chart the size you want, make your css put the fields where you like, then DONT RESIZE. You said you were OK with a css hack. It is what it is.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...