Splunk Search

Searches Using field extractions Issue

zd00191
Communicator

The following searches' results contain events with the field, FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME="Minute Maid"

index=ko_autosys sourcetype=autosys_applog_scheduler_events host="usatlb98" OR host="usatlb91" JOB_NAME="sap_*" eventtype=autosys_initiated_jobs System="SAP FILO(p08)"

When I add FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME="Minute Maid" to the search above to narrow down. The search does not show any results at all.

index=ko_autosys sourcetype=autosys_applog_scheduler_events host="usatlb98" OR host="usatlb91" JOB_NAME="sap_*" eventtype=autosys_initiated_jobs System="SAP FILO(p08)" FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME="Minute Maid"

The search above shows no results but take out the field = minute maid and there are results with the minute maid field.

I have a field extraction pulling the _mm or _spmm to created the field, FUNC_AREA_ABR for functional area abbreviation and then I have anautomatic lookup table which takes FUNC_AREA_ABR and OUTPUTNEW FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME which is "Minute Maid"

Here is the field extraction: EXTRACT-FUNC_AREA_ABR = (?i)p(?P<FUNC_AREA_ABR>_\D+)This pull the _mm off of sap_mm01234 or _sp on sap_spmm1234.

Wy aren't the results showing? Please help. Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are probably running in to this well-known problem:

http://blogs.splunk.com/2011/10/07/cannot-search-based-on-an-extracted-field/

Does this search work?

index=ko_autosys sourcetype=autosys_applog_scheduler_events host="usatlb98" OR host="usatlb91" JOB_NAME="sap_*" eventtype=autosys_initiated_jobs System="SAP FILO(p08)" FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME=* | search FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME="Minute Maid" 

If so, the solution is to put this into fields.conf in the same directory that you have your field extractions (where props.conf is):

[FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME]
INDEXED_VALUE = false

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are probably running in to this well-known problem:

http://blogs.splunk.com/2011/10/07/cannot-search-based-on-an-extracted-field/

Does this search work?

index=ko_autosys sourcetype=autosys_applog_scheduler_events host="usatlb98" OR host="usatlb91" JOB_NAME="sap_*" eventtype=autosys_initiated_jobs System="SAP FILO(p08)" FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME=* | search FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME="Minute Maid" 

If so, the solution is to put this into fields.conf in the same directory that you have your field extractions (where props.conf is):

[FUNCTIONAL_AREA_NAME]
INDEXED_VALUE = false

zd00191
Communicator

Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...