Splunk Search

Search, use the same results for two different sub searches, then merge the results and chart them

rpecka
Explorer

I would like to narrow down my results and rename a few fields using an initial search, let's call these results A.

Then I want to take A and search on `event_type=event1` and massage the results to get B

Then take A and search on `event_type=event2` and massage the results to get C

Then I want to combine the results B and C and use chart to dedup and display the combined result.

With my current query, the column for stage1 in my table is all null, but if I do the search with the contents of the append at the root and remove the second search, I get populated results

My current query is the following:

index=... ... | rename some_field as taskID

| append [search "event.event_type"=event1 | eval stageDuration='event.payload.total_duration'-'event.payload.provisioning_duration' | eval stageID="stage1"]

| search "event.event_type"=event2 | rename event.payload.total_duration as stageDuration event.payload.stageID as stageID

| chart sum(stageDuration) over taskID  by stageID | table taskID, stage1, * | where isnull(stage4) | fillnull value=0

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on how complex your massaging is, you might want to consider combining the search and then use conditional evaluations

index-... (event.eventtype="event1" OR event.eventtype="event2")

| eval stageId=if('event.event_type'="event1","stage1","stage2")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on how complex your massaging is, you might want to consider combining the search and then use conditional evaluations

index-... (event.eventtype="event1" OR event.eventtype="event2")

| eval stageId=if('event.event_type'="event1","stage1","stage2")

0 Karma

rpecka
Explorer

You're right. What I’m trying to do is not as complicated as I thought it was. I only need to duplicate the case statement once to get what I need. Thank you!

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're appending results with event.event_type=event1 only to filter them out in the next step by searching fpr event.eve t_type=event2.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...