Splunk Search

Search help - reporting backup status

Jaci
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We have many hosts running backups every night and report back if they are successful or not. I would like to simplify the report the search produces so that it easier to read. What should I change in my search to get my preferred output?

Thank you!

Splunk events of both types of events:

Jun 2 21:04:55 xx.xx.13.123 Jun 2 21:04:52 xxx-app-03 ntbackup[info] 8019 End Operation: The operation was successfully completed. Consult the backup report for more details.

Jun 2 21:04:52 xx.xx.13.172 Jun 2 21:04:48 xxx-2 ntbackup[error] 8019 Warnings or errors were encountered.

Current Search we are using:

"EventCode=8019" OR " 8019 " starthoursago="24" | fields + host | eval status = if(_raw LIKE successfully, "OK", "Backup Failed")

Current Output:

_time host status _raw 1275451893 xx.xx.13.20 Backup Failed

Jun 1 23:11:33 xx.xx.13.20 Jun 1 23:11:31 host-PROC ntbackup[info] 8019 End Operation: The operation was successfully completed. Consult the backup report for more details.

Preferred output:

Date Time Host status

6/1/2010 23:11 host-PROC OK

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Some recommendations below, but sticking with the way you're doing it for now, i think this will give you what you're looking for:

"EventCode=8019" OR " 8019 " starthoursago="24" | eval status = if(_raw LIKE successfully, "OK", "Backup Failed") | stats first(_time) as time first(status) as status by host | fields time host status

recommendations:

I recommend creating a field extraction to extract the eventCode properly. This will allow you to operate on it more easily. ie eventCode=8019 instead of the slower and more cumbersome "EventCode=8019" OR " 8019 ". It'll also allow you to do more interesting reporting on eventCode values.

I also recommend not using the old 3.X time term syntax of 'starthoursago=24' in the search language. In 4.0 and 4.1 this corresponds to setting the earliest argument to "-24h" or "-24h@h", depending.
If you use the old legacy arguments like this, the UI will nag you with blue messages everywhere.

and lastly, "fields + host" and "fields host" are synonymous in 4.1. There used to be a difference but its gone now.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Some recommendations below, but sticking with the way you're doing it for now, i think this will give you what you're looking for:

"EventCode=8019" OR " 8019 " starthoursago="24" | eval status = if(_raw LIKE successfully, "OK", "Backup Failed") | stats first(_time) as time first(status) as status by host | fields time host status

recommendations:

I recommend creating a field extraction to extract the eventCode properly. This will allow you to operate on it more easily. ie eventCode=8019 instead of the slower and more cumbersome "EventCode=8019" OR " 8019 ". It'll also allow you to do more interesting reporting on eventCode values.

I also recommend not using the old 3.X time term syntax of 'starthoursago=24' in the search language. In 4.0 and 4.1 this corresponds to setting the earliest argument to "-24h" or "-24h@h", depending.
If you use the old legacy arguments like this, the UI will nag you with blue messages everywhere.

and lastly, "fields + host" and "fields host" are synonymous in 4.1. There used to be a difference but its gone now.

Jaci
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thank you for your help Nick!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...