Splunk Search

Search for null fields following rex field extraction

DanSec
Engager

I have a current search used in dashboards and alerts. It extracts fields from an existing field. I'm trying to edit this to only return results if the extracted fields are null/empty but I get no results. Essentially this is used to extract ticket numbers and descriptions entered into a freeform text box and I'm trying to pick up when this isn't entered or entered incorrectly.

My search:

index=<MyIndex> sourcetype=<MySourceType> log_subtype=general description=CommitAll*
| rex field=description "JobId=(?<JobId>.*?)\." | rename JobId as "Job ID"
| rex field=description "User:\s(?<user>.*?)\." | rename user as User
| rex field=description "Commit Description:\s(?<CommitDescription>.*)" | rename CommitDescription as "Commit Description"
| rex field=description "(?<JobDescription>.*).*JobId" | rename JobDescription as "Job Description"
| rex field=description "device-group\s(?<DeviceGroup>.*?)\s" | rename DeviceGroup as "Device Group"
| rex field=description "template\s(?<Template>.*?)\s" | rename template as Template
| rex field="Commit Description" "\b(?<TicketNumber>\d{5})\b" | rename TicketNumber as "Ticket Number"
| transaction "Job ID" | table _time,host,"Job ID",User,"Ticket Number","Commit Description","Template","Device Group","Job Description"

I have tried adding:

| where isnull("Ticket Number") OR "Ticket Number"=""

I'm assuming that if the search is unable to extract the fields because a ticket number or description has not been entered then the field won't exists to search?

I'm going round in circle here as I don't really understand what happens if the field extraction REX doesn't find a match.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try putting the field names in single quotes in the where command

| where isnull('Ticket Number') OR 'Ticket Number'=""

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DanSec
Engager

Looking for the facepalm emoji!

Thanks @ITWhisperer 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try putting the field names in single quotes in the where command

| where isnull('Ticket Number') OR 'Ticket Number'=""
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...