Splunk Search

Search for IP Addresses more efficient using wildcards or CIDR ranges

andylee53

Hello

I'm looking to run a search in a Firewall log index for connections to a know IP range and trying to decide which is the more efficient way of doing it. As can be seen I'm excluding certain ports we expect to see traffic on I seem to remember that using "!=" is also considered inefficient as well open to other suggestions for using something else.

Current search looks like this

index="pan_logs" sourcetype="pan:traffic" dest_ip="91.226.*.*" | lookup dnslookup clientip AS src_ip OUTPUT clienthost AS remotehost | search dest_port!=48600 dest_port!=22 | table _time dest_ip dest_port remotehost

Labels (1)
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index="pan_logs" sourcetype="pan:traffic" dest_ip="91.226.0.0/16" | lookup dnslookup clientip AS src_ip OUTPUT clienthost AS remotehost | table _time dest_ip dest_port remotehost | where dest_port!=48600 OR dest_port!=22
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @andylee53 ,

in general the use of != isn't a best practice in searches!

In my experience the CIDR is more efficient than wildcards.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

andylee53

@gcusello Many Thanks for the reply. I understood about the use of != but cannot think of a better alternative right now

Thanks for confirming the CIDR is more efficient I will give it a try

Regards

Andy

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...