Splunk Search

Search bash_history

p544gm
Explorer

Adhoc search of bash_history files and attempting to just pull out listing of commands regardless of the timestamp value. I am not interested at this point in retrieving the Timestamp.

Here is what a given search returns:

Event 1 #1597921243 <-- Timestamp
whoami                               <-- Command whoami is returned as part of Event 1
Event 2 uname                 <-- Command uname is returned as a unique Event
Event 3 #1597921243 <-- Timestamp returned as unique event
Event 4 df -h                      <-- Command df -h is returned as a unique Event
Event 5 #1597678043 <-- Timestamp returned as unique event

When I execute this Search only Event 1 is returned which is Timestamp and separate line with whoami command

index=os sourcetype=bash_history host=my_host_name |regex "^#\d+\s+(?P<PGCMD>\w+)"

When I execute this Search 3 Events are returned, Event 1 (TS + whoami) and Event 2 (uname) and Event 4 (df)

index=os sourcetype=bash_history host=my_host_name |regex "[a-zA-Z]+"

When I execute this Search 2 Events are returned, Event 2 (uname) and Event 4 (df)

index=os sourcetype=bash_history host=ps2pr608661 |regex "^\w+"

What I am trying to end up with is just viewing the commands, no time stamps, in essence results should just be whoami, uname and df -h nothing else

I've been searching for a solution but 1.5 days into this I cannot find one. Any help is appreciated

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| rex field=_raw mode=sed "s/^#\d+\s?//g"
| where _raw!=""

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| rex field=_raw mode=sed "s/^#\d+\s?//g"
| where _raw!=""

0 Karma

p544gm
Explorer

fantastic! worked like a charm. Was unaware I could use sed. It's a good day when you learn something new! Thank you for quick reply and solution.  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...