Splunk Search

Search all fields for value

edroche3rd
Explorer

Hello All

I am looking to search a number of fields (31) that may have the same value then count the number of times the value appears in that search.

I am using KVSTORE with a collection named DOJO_DEV.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ed

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Let's back up from this rabbit trail and take a completely different (and simpler) approach. Assuming you are trying to count the number of fields that have the value None try this:

| inputlookup dojo_dev | eval matchCount=0 | foreach * [eval matchCount = matchCount + if(match(<<FIELD>>, "^None$"), 1, 0) ]

View solution in original post

edroche3rd
Explorer

This worked perfect!!! Sorry for delayed response.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I believe you accepted the wrong answer 😆

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Thanks. I am glad you got a solution.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Let's back up from this rabbit trail and take a completely different (and simpler) approach. Assuming you are trying to count the number of fields that have the value None try this:

| inputlookup dojo_dev | eval matchCount=0 | foreach * [eval matchCount = matchCount + if(match(<<FIELD>>, "^None$"), 1, 0) ]

edroche3rd
Explorer

This worked perfect!!! Sorry for delayed response.

0 Karma

edroche3rd
Explorer

Works Perfect!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I believe that this most excellent answer will give you all that you need to build your own solution. If not, post a followup comment as to how far you got and we will help you get from there to the end:

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/269855/searching-a-number-of-fields-with-the-same-keyword.html

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

| inputlookup dojo_dev [| noop | stats count as fields | eval fields = "netq bmc ehlth netdoc hpnnm splunk trident" | eval values = "None" | makemv fields | makemv values | mvexpand fields | mvexpand values | eval {fields} = values | fields - fields values | format "| eval fieldsWithValueCount=" "if((" "OR" "),1,0)" "+" ""] | fields values fieldsWithValueCount

To understand what it is doing, remove everything before [ and after ] including the brackets themselves.

0 Karma

edroche3rd
Explorer

That gives me all the fields for all the records...it doesn't calculate the number of time a value is list.

example: field1=Blue and field2=Red and field3=Blue....how many times was blue used....2 times.

Sorry if I sound like a smart ass not trying to be. I am just trying to explain the best I can 🙂

0 Karma

edroche3rd
Explorer

Here is the full code I am using (with all fields), what it is giving me (I would do a screenshot but it is only letting me do a comment instead of answer) is a table layout with all fields across top, a line for each record and then value for each field in each record. Which is fine but I am trying dwindle it down to a single field with the total number of times "Black" was used. This will go into a Single Digit Dashboard. What you think?

| inputlookup dojo_dev [| noop | stats count as fields | eval fields = "netq bmc ehlth netdoc hpnnm splunk trident aternity ngenius sniffer airwave vidconf brocade rivrbd clrpass dns dhcp cisco ciscoworks bna asafwalls paltoaltofwalls xnet certadmin bluecat ldbalf5 webservx150 raisedflrserv" | eval values = "Black" | makemv fields | makemv values | mvexpand fields | mvexpand values | eval {fields} = values | format "| eval fieldsWithValueCount=" "if((" "OR" "),1,0)" "+" ""]

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The answer should be in the field fieldsWithValueCount because this subsearch part...:

| noop | stats count as fields | eval fields = "netq bmc ehlth netdoc hpnnm splunk trident" | eval values = "None" | makemv fields | makemv values | mvexpand fields | mvexpand values | eval {fields} = values | fields - fields values | format "| eval fieldsWithValueCount=" "if((" "" "),1,0)" "+" ""

...evaluates into this search clause...:

| eval fieldsWithValueCount= if(( netq="None" ),1,0) + if(( bmc="None" ),1,0) + if(( ehlth="None" ),1,0) + if(( netdoc="None" ),1,0) + if(( hpnnm="None" ),1,0) + if(( splunk="None" ),1,0) + if(( trident="None" ),1,0)

...and that is the part that does the calculation. If you put this into a macro then you can call it programatically like this:

... | `countFieldsWithValues("netq bmc ehlth netdoc hpnnm splunk trident", "None", fieldsWithValueCount)`
0 Karma

edroche3rd
Explorer

The images below show you the 2 views that I get. Like I said it is only show if the field has a certain value not how many time the value appears.

Thanks

alt text

alt text

0 Karma

edroche3rd
Explorer

Thanks worked great, had to tweak to fit my needs but it laid the groundwork that I was trying to figure out all afternoon.

Here is what I used:

• | stats count as fields | eval fields = "netq, bmc, ehlth, netdoc, hpnnm, splunk, trident" | eval values = "None" | makemv fields | makemv values | mvexpand fields | mvexpand values | eval {fields} = values | fields - fields values | stats count
0 Karma

edroche3rd
Explorer

Follow up: after further testing this morning this gives me the fields that have a certain value BUT not the total number of times the value is used.....example...the value of field1=red but there might be 20 record where field1=red but only getting the one entry that just confirming that the field has AT LEAST one red value.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...