Splunk Search

Search Question

Kendo213
Communicator

I'm building out a dashboard to identify VPN issues in our environment. The issue with the search below is that those failed VPN sessions do not have tunnel IDs, however successful VPN connections do. This results in 'no results found' for failed connections because there is no tunnel ID. If I 'fillnull tunnelid' the results in successful transactions having a null value generated in each set of results which shows an issue where one did not exist, while fixing the sessions that are failed. Any ideas? I'm not sure how to do a stats by a field that may or may not exist, and the fillnull creates misleading results. A session can have multiple tunnels throughout the day which is why I'm attempting to go down this road.

index=indexa sourcetype="sourcetype" SESSION_ID=$sessionid$ AND field9=* AND message=* AND message!=Session*
| dedup _raw
| rex field=message "(?<tunnelid>0x[0-9a-fA-F]{12})"
|fillnull tunnelid VALUE="No Tunnel"
| stats earliest(eval(field9=="Received User-Agent header")) as start latest(eval(like(field9,"%started%"))) as connect latest(eval(like(field9,"%closed%"))) as closed latest(eval(like(field9,"%unknown%"))) as unknownerrors latest(eval(like(field9,"%PPP%"))) as tunnels by SESSION_ID,tunnelid
| eval success=if(connect=1,1,0)
| eval closed=if(isnull(closed),0,1)
| eval errors=if(isnull(unknownerrors),0,1)
| eval Status=case(success=1 AND closed=0,"VPN Currently Connected",closed=1 AND errors=0,"VPN Connected Successfully & User Logged Off",errors=1,"VPN Connected Successfully & Encountered Issues",1=1,"Connection was not successful")
| rename SESSION_ID as "Session ID" tunnelid as "Tunnel ID"
| table "Session ID","Tunnel ID",Status
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Kendo213
Communicator

And as soon as I posted this, i found the command 'filldown'. This resolved my issue.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Kendo213
Communicator

And as soon as I posted this, i found the command 'filldown'. This resolved my issue.

Thanks

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...