Splunk Search

Routing to null queue in a cluster not working

responsys_cm
Builder

I have a number of Snort sensors that are sending syslog events to a Splunk forwarder. That forwarder in turn forwards the events to three indexers in a cluster.

Some snort rules are generating useless events where the body is: " |". I ran a search to test that my regex matches: index=ids | rex \_raw="^\s\|$" and it matches those events.

I created the following in transforms.conf:

[snort_null]  
REGEX = "^\s\|$"  
DEST_KEY = queue  
FORMAT = nullQueue  

And in props.conf:

[snort]  
TRANSFORMS-null = snort_null

I've applied this to both the forwarder and the indexers in the cluster, but the events keep showing up. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...

What am I doing wrong here?

Thx.

Craig

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Remove the double quotes in transforms.conf - those are necessary for the rex command because it takes a string, but they aren't part of the regex.

khourihan_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@martin_mueller 's answer should work. Also make sure you apply your changes via cluster master's splunk apply cluster-bundle command.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...