Splunk Search

Rewriting a search from using top to a sum statement

timbCFCA
Path Finder

I'm building a daily history for one of my log sources. I'm currently using the count of events via the top command to dictate the order and values as shown below.

index=foreweb ......  | top TopLevelHost by c_ip limit=10 | stats  list(TopLevelHost) list(count) by c_ip | sort list(count) desc

This works well. I also have a field sc_bytes present in each entry. I'd like to replace the logic for top TopLevelHost by c_ip limit=10 with something that'll work based on the sum of sc_bytes.

What are my options?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

index=foreweb ...| stats sum(sc_bytes) as sum by TopLevelHost, c_ip | sort -sum | streamstats count as sno by c_ip | where sno < 11 | stats  list(TopLevelHost) list(sum) by c_ip | sort list(sum) desc

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

index=foreweb ...| stats sum(sc_bytes) as sum by TopLevelHost, c_ip | sort -sum | streamstats count as sno by c_ip | where sno < 11 | stats  list(TopLevelHost) list(sum) by c_ip | sort list(sum) desc

timbCFCA
Path Finder

Many thanks. I'd also like to be able to convert the sum fields from bytes to megabytes. Can you provide an example of how to do so? I'd assume an eval and dividing by 1048576 would be all that is required but I'm not sure where to place it.

0 Karma

timbCFCA
Path Finder

@somesoni2 - I want the logic to work exactly the same as outlined in the top command, only based off the sum of the sc_bytes instead of the count of events for a given c_ip. I guess that it'd need to be separated by c_ip but I'm not really sure.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

what is the condition you want to put based on sc_bytes sum?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...