Splunk Search

Reusing subsearch within a search

fmayot

I'm using a subsearch multiple times within a search. Is Splunk able to optimize this and run the subsearch only once or do I need to do something else?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk doesn't optimize that on its own, two executions of the same search at almost the same time may yield different results.

As for doing something else, that may depend on your specific issue - do post your search, maybe there's a way.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could accelerate your subsearch with report acceleration if eligible, or build it upon an accelerated data model. That would still be multiple executions, but they'd be faster and not require manual summary indexing.

Whether that's the best approach, or if there are entirely different ways of solving your requirements is a different matter, for that you'd have to post more info.

0 Karma

fmayot

Would there be a way to temporarily cache the results of a subsearch? I've heard about summary indexes but that seems fairly involving for what I'm trying to achieve (essentially ad-hoc queries, often generated by scripts). I can't post a query (I've tried to edit my answer but gave up 30 attemps with the captcha)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...