Splunk Search

Restricting timechart to smaller set of days than search

DEADBEEF
Path Finder

I have a timechart that shows the last 30d and with the timechart I also have a trendline showing the sma7.  The problem is that on the timechart, the trendline doesn't show anything for days 1-6, which I understand is because there is no data from the previous days for the sma7 to calculate.

I thought that the solution could be to change my search for the last 37d and then only timechart days 7-37d (if that makes sense) but can't seem to figure out how to implement that or if that is even a possible solution.

Existing search

index=palo eventtype=user_logon earliest=-37d@d
| bin span=1d _time
| timechart count(eval(like(user_auth, "%-Compliant"))) as compliant  count as total 
| eval compliant=round(((compliant/total)*100),2)
| trendline sma7(compliant) as compliant7sma
| eval compliant7sma=round(compliant7sma,2)
| table _time, compliant, compliant7sma

graph.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure if this is what you're trying to do, but you can always 'remove' the dates you don't want with a where clause

If compliant7sma field does not exist for the first 6 days, then just add

| where isnotnull(compliant7sma)

at the end, or to do it on a time based filter

| where _time>=relative_time(now(), "-30d@d")

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure if this is what you're trying to do, but you can always 'remove' the dates you don't want with a where clause

If compliant7sma field does not exist for the first 6 days, then just add

| where isnotnull(compliant7sma)

at the end, or to do it on a time based filter

| where _time>=relative_time(now(), "-30d@d")

DEADBEEF
Path Finder

Yes, I was looking for that where statement.  My mistake, I tried using |search which didn't work.  Thanks!

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Also note that you don't need bin + timechart as you can simply do

| timechart span=1d...
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...