Splunk Search

Restrict access to "Manager"

namanjoshi
Explorer

Hi,

I running Splunk 4.1.6 and I'm trying to create a role which allows the user to only have read access to the Search app. i.e. They can only do native and saved searches.

However, even at the lowest level of privileges it seems the user always has access to the "Manager". Is there anyway to restrict this? Can i remove the link from the search app?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

namanjoshi
Explorer

I added the following

javascript:alert(document.links[1].style.display="none")

to application.js and it works beautifully.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Karma

frankfowler
Explorer
0 Karma

namanjoshi
Explorer

I added the following

javascript:alert(document.links[1].style.display="none")

to application.js and it works beautifully.

Thanks

0 Karma

mw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To add to what Sean said, when you use advanced XML, you can only actually remove the entire "AccountBar", meaning all of those links, or leave it in. However, if I'm in an app, I can paste this into the URL bar and the "Manager" link will hide for me, so I imagine that a custom application.js could get you what you want:

javascript:{$('a[href*="/manager/"]').hide()}

namanjoshi
Explorer

Thanks mw. I tried the javascript you mentioned and in Chrome it seems to work, but not Firefox. Any tips?

(My html is not as good as it used to be)

0 Karma

sdwilkerson
Contributor

namanjoshi,

You can certainly customize "search" or create a custom app that doesn't provide links to manager or other apps to the users. Additionally, you can configure Splunk to put certain users in this app by default.

There is Splunk documentation on how to customize a dashboard.

Note, to do what are you're asking requires the advanced dashboard XML.

As the doc states, you can browse to your search app and viewSource to see what components are there: https://localhost:8000/en-US/app/search/dashboard_live?showsource=true

Sean

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...