Splunk Search

Removing duplicate events following eachother in a transaction

merethhe
Engager

I am creating transactions based on userId like this to find paths taken by a user in a session:

* | transaction mvlist=t userId maxpause=900s | table name, dt

Say I get a transaction that looks like this (just an example):

A, 14:35:07
B, 14:36:00
C, 14:36:30
D, 14:37:05

Events 1 & 2 and 4 & 5 are duplicate. I am not sure why I get these results, but in any case I want to remove the duplicate events, to make the transaction look like this:

B, 14:36:00
 D, 14:37:05

Any idea how I could do this for all transactions?

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Maybe this?

... | transaction mvlist=t userId maxpause=900s | dedup name dt | table name, dt
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Maybe this?

... | transaction mvlist=t userId maxpause=900s | dedup name dt | table name, dt
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

merethhe
Engager

I figured it out now, it works if I do the dedup before creating the transaction. Thanks!

0 Karma

merethhe
Engager

It doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe there's something wrong with the rest of my search, here is the entire search string:

• | transaction mvlist=t userId maxpause=900s | where mvindex(id, -1) == "1152921526082717650" | dedup name dt | table name, dt

The duplicates are still there.
Although it should work according to example 5 here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/SearchReference/Dedup

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...