Splunk Search

Remove specific substrings from specific values

techspec
Explorer

I have a query that looks for certain error messages and displays a list sorted by most common occurrence. My problem is that some of these error messages contain unique IDs, causing them to show as separate results.

The first 3 messages below end with unique values - how do I update this query to output those error messages without the unique values after the * mark, or even replace with another string like "redacted"?

index=mint event_name=APIServiceError appEnvironment=Release appVersionName>=3.0 
  (
    extraData.message="Incorrect email or password for*"  OR
    extraData.message="Street address and/or city is too long*" OR
    extraData.message="The following address could not be found:*" OR
    extraData.message="We failed to authorize your payment card. Please verify your payment card is valid." OR
    extraData.message="The network connection was lost."
  )  
| stats count by extraData.message | sort -count

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Pathik
Explorer

Try adding below to replace message with the one you are looking for.

index=mint event_name=APIServiceError appEnvironment=Release appVersionName>=3.0
(
extraData.message="Incorrect email or password for*" OR
extraData.message="We failed to authorize your payment card. Please verify your payment card is valid." OR
)
| eval extraData.message=if(like(extraData.message, "Street address and/or city is too long*"), "Street address and/or city is too long",extraData.message) | stats count by extraData.message | sort -count 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Pathik
Explorer

Try adding below to replace message with the one you are looking for.

(
extraData.message="Incorrect email or password for*" OR
)
| eval extraData.message=if(like(extraData.message, "Street address and/or city is too long*"), "Street address and/or city is too long",extraData.message) | stats count by extraData.message | sort -count 

0 Karma

techspec
Explorer

Thanks - what you suggested makes sense, but I used it exactly as you showed and get "no results found": 

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 11.32.57 AM.png

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

techspec
Explorer

Thanks - still no luck. Even tried on an error message with no wildcards, just a simple match and replace:

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 12.34.49 PM.png

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Try to put ‘ surround your field names.

techspec
Explorer

That did it - thanks!

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
Other option is use rex mode=sed
r. Ismo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...