Splunk Search

Regular expressions to match a specific string for field exctraction

kstam2

I have this type of log file:

182.236.164.11 - - [04/Mar/2019:18:20:56] "GET /cart.do?action=addtocart&itemId=EST-15&productId=BS-AG-G09&JSESSIONID=SD6SL8FF10ADFF53101 HTTP 1.1" 200 2252 "http://www.buttercupgames.com/oldlink?itemId=EST-15" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.46 Safari/536.5" 506

I am trying to create a regular expression to only match the word Intel, regardless of the relative position of the string in order to create a field.

I have come up with this regular expression from the automated regex generator in splunk:

^[^;\n]*;\s+

But it doesn't always work as it will match other strings as well.

I want to match the string Intel only so as to create a field in Splunk.

I have also tried the following code as to only match the word but still to no avail:

\bIntel\(?P<CPU>\w+)

Any inputs are welcome.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

|  makeresults
| eval _raw="182.236.164.11 - - [04/Mar/2019:18:20:56] \"GET /cart.do?action=addtocart&itemId=EST-15&productId=BS-AG-G09&JSESSIONID=SD6SL8FF10ADFF53101 HTTP 1.1\" 200 2252 \"http://www.buttercupgames.com/oldlink?itemId=EST-15\" \"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.46 Safari/536.5\" 506"
| rex "^(?:\S+\s+){4}\"[^\"]+\"\s*(?:\S+\s+){2}(?:\"[^\"]+\"\s*)\"(?<useragent>[^\"]+)"
| rename COMMENT AS "You should already have a 'useragent' field"
| rex field=useragent ";\s+(?<CPU>\S+)"
0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@kstam2

If you want to literallly search for the string intel , |rex field=_raw "(?<CPU>Intel)" should work. However, that does not make much since you can just do it with eval CPU="Intel" as well if the value is always "Intel". If you are looking for finding the CPU types, then probably you should try

\(\w+;(?<CPU>\s+\w+)

If you have other OS types and different event formats, please share more samples so that the regex can be adjusted to your needs.

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂

nickhills
Ultra Champion

If you just want to match the word 'intel' this will do it:
(?P<cpu>[iI][nN][tT][eE][lL])

If you want to pull more out of the user agent you could also use something like:
\s\((?P<platorm>\w+)\;\s(?P<arch>\w+)\s(?P<os>[^\)]+)\)

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

manuelostertag
Path Finder

If you want to make it shorter you could also use (?i) (where i means: insensitive. Case insensitive match (ignores case of [a-zA-Z])

(?i)(?<cpu>intel)

Here you could test it:
https://regex101.com/r/3pCOHf/1

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Why do you need regex ? If you want to search only Intel word in raw data then you can use below query

index=blabla sourcetype=abcxyz "Intel"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...