Splunk Search

Regex

nathanluke86
Communicator

Hi,

I am trying to find unique id's the have 3 letters followed by 6 numbers for example

bhg111111

My issue is I want to not count duplicates and would like to do this within the regex itself (not dedup by field.

is this possible

thanks,

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Super Champion

Hi @nathanluke86 

You can use Stats like below-

...|stats count by fieldname

Here It will give Unique values of fieldname with count and If count is not required you can remove it using 

|fields - count

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So still not completely within the rex (which I am not sure you could do anyway) and based @493669 suggestion

--- your search
| rex field=yourfield max_match=0 "(?<id>[a-zA-Z]{3}\d{6})"
| stats count by id
| fields - count
0 Karma

nathanluke86
Communicator

hi @ITWhisperer 

yes thats exactly what I am trying to achieve,

Kind regards,

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @nathanluke86 

Why do you not want to use dedup, it does what you need to do a lot easier than trying to write some complicated alternative?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just to clarify, your field could contain multiple occurrences of this pattern and you want to count the unique occurrences but you don't want to use dedup?

bhg111111 bhg111111 bhg222222 is two matches?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...