Splunk Search

Regex in search to filter not working

santorof
Communicator

I am currently trying to work on a search where are admins in my results. I want the search to show only regular users and admins are noted by a -abc next to their name. This is what I currently have and I get the same amount of results with or without regex:

... | regex <user>!="<-abc>" | 

So for example the user field will have johnny and a separate line for johnny-abc. I want to search and not have a result if -abc is found in the user field.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Assuming you have a field named user which has values such as woodcock-abc for admins and values such as otherguy for non-admins, you should be able to use this (among many other ways):

... | regex user!=".*\-abc$"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Assuming you have a field named user which has values such as woodcock-abc for admins and values such as otherguy for non-admins, you should be able to use this (among many other ways):

... | regex user!=".*\-abc$"
0 Karma

santorof
Communicator

Could you explain to me what the . , forward slash, and $ are for? I have been looking at the regex documentation and cant seem to find anything solid. I would like to know this so I can do a regex to take into account a abc-USERNAME where abc- is what I would want to filter against to not include. In this case abc- is at the begining and the *(everything) would come after

EDIT: I believe I got it. regex user!="abc-.*"

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The . matches any 1 character and the * modifies the character class that precedes it with zero or more of those. The \ escapes the next character that follows so that it is taken literally instead of indicating special functio n/token (in this case it is sperflous and you don't need it; it was a mistake on my part). The $ says no more characters after this.

MuS
Legend

could you please provide some sample events?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Why not simply use this

your base search ..| search user!="*-abc"

santorof
Communicator

This worked as well as the suggestion from Wood about regex. Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...