Splunk Search
Highlighted

Regex Field extraction question

Path Finder

Hello,

I am trying to extract a field and I have an error in my REGEX. The line looks like this:

6/26/2014 13:00:10.866 | 18636 | Cmd:ALARMS device:REED31_13HLOALP_RD, status:2:FAILED: Unresolved message: ALARMS, user:OKCLOI.MSS, parms: | UisCmdRequestManagerImpl.cpp | 747 | nLOG_EXCEPTIONS

I am trying to pull the 5th section out of the line. The extracted data in this log example would be 747. I have this REGEX in my field extraction:

(?i)^[^\|][^\|][^\|][^\|] (?P{FIELDNAME}\s\d+)

What have I done wrong? Is the data in the third piped section not available for an "any"? Do I need to break down that section?

Tags (2)
Highlighted

Re: Regex Field extraction question

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This worked for me.

(?:[\S\s]*|){4}\s(?<fieldname>\d+)
---
If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's an eval function that does this.

eval temp=split(_raw,"|") | eval FieldX=mvindex(temp,4)

The first eval splits your _raw into a multivalue field split by the pipe symbol, the second then pulls out the 4th of those fields, calling it FieldX.

Obviously, rename as desired.

Highlighted

Super Champion

There are a couple minor issues with the regex as writen:

1. It doesn't account for how many times a character repeats.
  2. It doesn't look for both a pipe and a non-pipe character (it only looks for non-pipes)
  3. The value of fieldname will have a leading space based on the placement of \s

I like richalloway's approach, but I'm not sure the [\S\s] is quote what you want. I believe that would be interpreted to be a character range that includes all non-spaces and all spaces (which pretty much includes everything, which could be written as simple ".") Also, this should be anchored to the beginning of the line (^).

Here's my suggestion: (Modified from richalloway's answer)

^(?:[^|]+\|){4}\s*(?<fieldname>\d+)

Basically this means, from the start of the line, look for one or more character that's not a pipe, followed by a single pipe. (Repeat 4 times; thus putting us into field 5). Skip over any whitespace characters, and capture the following digits into a field named "fieldname".

Of course, delimiter based field extractions are also another option using props.conf and transforms.conf.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Path Finder

This worked great. I did not get a chance to try out the first two suggestions. When I looked at the answers these three were already posted so I of course took the one that referenced others. My REGEX is weak and I thank you all very much for the answers.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Super Champion

Don't forget to mark your question resolved by selecting the check mark next to one of the answers.

0 Karma