Splunk Search

RegEx Blackslash issue?

dchodur
Path Finder

I have the following data as a sample:

SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2","N/A","Ready","Interactive/Background","N/A","1","Microsoft Corporation","%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe ndfapi.dll,NdfRunDllDuplicateIPDefendingSystem","N/A","This event is triggered when an IP address conflict is detected.","Enabled","Disabled","Stop On Battery Mode, No Start On Batteries","Users","Enabled","72:00:00","Scheduling data is not available in this format.","When an event occurs","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A"
"SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor","N/A","Running","Interactive/Background","6/26/2014 2:33:12 PM","267009","N/A","COM handler","N/A","TextServicesFramework monitor task","Enabled","Disabled","","Users","Enabled","Disabled","Scheduling data is not available in this format.","At logon time","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A"
"SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\SynchronizeTime","6/29/2014 1:00:00 AM","Ready","Interactive/Background","6/22/2014 1:00:00 AM","1058","Microsoft Corporation","%windir%\system32\sc.exe start w32time task_started","N/A","Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.","Enabled","Disabled","Stop On Battery Mode","LOCAL SERVICE","Enabled","72:00:00","Scheduling data is not available in this format.","Weekly","1:00:00 AM","1/1/2005","N/A","SUN","Every 1 week(s)","Disabled","Disabled","Disabled","Disabled"
"SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\UPnP\UPnPHostConfig","N/A","Ready","Interactive/Background","N/A","1","Microsoft","sc.exe config upnphost start= auto","N/A","Set UPnPHost service to Auto-Start","Enabled","Disabled","Stop On Battery Mode, No Start On Batteries","SYSTEM","Enabled","72:00:00","Scheduling data is not available in this format.","On demand only","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A"
"SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\User Profile Service\HiveUploadTask","Disabled","","Interactive/Background","N/A","1","Microsoft Corporation","COM handler","N/A","This task will automatically upload a roaming user profile's registry hive to its network location.","Disabled","Only Start If Idle for 10 minutes, If Not Idle Retry For 120 minutes","Stop On Battery Mode","SYSTEM","Disabled","72:00:00","Scheduling data is not available in this format.","One Time Only, Hourly ","12:00:00 AM","8/28/2007","N/A","N/A","N/A","12 Hour(s), 0 Minute(s)","None","Disabled","Disabled"
"SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\WDI\ResolutionHost","N/A","Ready","Interactive/Background","N/A","1","Microsoft Corporation","COM handler","N/A","The Windows Diagnostic Infrastructure Resolution host enables interactive resolutions for system problems detected by the Diagnostic Policy Service. It is triggered when necessary by the Diagnostic Policy Service in the appropriate user session. If the ","Enabled","Disabled","","INTERACTIVE","Enabled","Disabled","Scheduling data is not available in this format.","On demand only","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A"
"SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting","N/A","Ready","Interactive/Background","6/13/2014 4:22:05 PM","0","Microsoft Corporation","%windir%\system32\wermgr.exe -queuereporting","N/A","Windows Error Reporting task to process queued reports.","Enabled","Disabled","","Users","Enabled","72:00:00","Scheduling data is not available in this format.","At logon time","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A"
"SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Filtering Platform\BfeOnServiceStartTypeChange","N/A","Ready","Interactive/Background","N/A","1","Microsoft Corporation","%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe bfe.dll,BfeOnServiceStartTypeChange","N/A","This task adjusts the start type for firewall-triggered services when the start type of the Base Filtering Engine (BFE) is disabled.","Enabled","Disabled","","SYSTEM","Enabled","72:00:00","Scheduling data is not available in this format.","When an event occurs","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A"
"SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsColorSystem\Calibration Loader","Disabled","","Interactive/Background","7/14/2009 12:06:48 AM","0","Microsoft Corporation","COM handler","N/A","This task applies color calibration settings.","Disabled","Disabled","","Users","Disabled","Disabled","Scheduling data is not available in this format.","At logon time","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A","N/A"
"SHAREPOINT01","\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsColorSystem\Calibration Loader","Disabled","","Interactive/Background","7/14/2009 12:06:48 AM","0","Microsoft Corporation","COM handler","N/A","This task apponths","Repeat: Every","Repeat: Until: Time","Repeat: Until: Duration","Repeat: Stop If Still Running"

Using a props.conf and transform to filter data.

Props.conf section:

# Used to format the time stamp of schedule task data collected Win Servers, filter events as well
[schtaskswin]
DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT
TRANSFORMS-null=dumpschtaskheader, dumpschtaskdata

Transform.conf Section:

# dump scheduled task data as needed
[dumpschtaskdata]
REGEX=Microsoft
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue

# Scheduled Task Header
[dumpschtaskheader]
REGEX=\"HostName\"\,|schtasks\s/query\s
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue

So the above works right now and I toss out any Microsoft tasks and also my headers, etc. What I want is be more specific and toss them out only if "\Microsoft\ so if someone uses the word Microsoft it will still show up as a splunk entry.

I tried the regex as \"\Microsoft\ and also one as \Microsoft\ but they did not work. What am I doing wrong? BTW - when I was testing the other regex expressions I had the sections in the transform flipped around, not sure it would really matter, but was frustrated trying to make it work and was trying various things and flipped them at the same time I just used just Microsoft as the regex to see if it would even do anything and now it is. So I know now the transform is processing at least and it seems to be in the other regex expressions. Before messing more with it I thought I would seek help. Thanks.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

This should work

REGEX=\"\\Microsoft\\

Also, make sure that you do not have any other lines in props.conf that begin with

TRANSFORMS-null=

as the "namespace" (null) should be unique.

0 Karma

dchodur
Path Finder

What order did you have your transform entries, maybe that does matter then?? Would seem odd.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I tried both of your strings in RegExr and they worked fine. Perhaps someone else will see what we have missed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

dchodur
Path Finder

The ones above are correctly formatted, thanks. So any ideas?

0 Karma

dchodur
Path Finder

So yes here are what I tried.
\"\\Microsoft\\
and
\\Microsoft\\

Hope this formats right

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I thought the formatter might be messing with you. Using backticks will override the usual formatting rules and let you type exactly what you want.

---
0 Karma

dchodur
Path Finder

Fun... formatting. Yes I am adding an extra backslash to the " and \ to escape them.

0 Karma

dchodur
Path Finder

Typos
\"\\Microsoft\\ and
\\Microsoft\\

Regex I tried that did not work.

0 Karma

dchodur
Path Finder

Yes - that is what I tried to do per the other regex examples but they did not work. There is a typo that did not come through. I tried the following:
\"\Microsoft\
and
\Microsoft\

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you escaping the literal backslashes in your regex strings? "\\Microsoft\\...

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...