Splunk Search

Referencing extracted fields from regex?

balidani
Explorer

Hello!

How would I go about referencing an already extracted field's regex pattern in a regex?
So I don't have to copy the pattern of the field each time.

For example I have an extracted field for "md5_hash", and I want to look for URLs with the following syntax: "^/some/thing/(md5_hash)". Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

richprescott
Path Finder

Yes, if you look in $SPLUNKHOME$/etc/system/default/transforms.conf, you can see many examples of how to do it. Here is one of them:

[octet]
this would match only numbers from 0-255 (one octet in an ip)
REGEX = 2(?:5[0-5]|[0-4][0-9])|[0-1][0-9][0-9]|[0-9][0-9]?

[ipv4]
matches a valid IPv4 optionally followed by :port_num the octets in the ip would also be validated 0-255 range
Extracts: ip, port
REGEX = (?[[octet]](?:\.[[octet]]){3})(?::[[int:port]])?

View solution in original post

richprescott
Path Finder

Yes, if you look in $SPLUNKHOME$/etc/system/default/transforms.conf, you can see many examples of how to do it. Here is one of them:

[octet]
this would match only numbers from 0-255 (one octet in an ip)
REGEX = 2(?:5[0-5]|[0-4][0-9])|[0-1][0-9][0-9]|[0-9][0-9]?

[ipv4]
matches a valid IPv4 optionally followed by :port_num the octets in the ip would also be validated 0-255 range
Extracts: ip, port
REGEX = (?[[octet]](?:\.[[octet]]){3})(?::[[int:port]])?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...