Splunk Search

Recursive macro invocation fails- Is there a different solution besides defining all possible list values?

eherbst63
Explorer

Hi everyone,

I have the following issue: within a search and a data field I find values like this:

db2_stat = "1,3:8"
db2_stat = "2,5:7"

My issue now is this should be translated into a comma separated list of all values starting with the value on the left side of the colon, ending with the value on the right side. In other words: the resulting data field should look like this:

db2_stat_xlated = "1,3,4,5,6,7,8"
db2_stat_xlated = "2,5,6,7"

I thought, I'd write a macro that calls recursively until the start value reaches end value. But whatever I've tried I ended up with the message 

"Error in 'SearchParser': Reached maximum recursion depth (100) while expanding macros. Check for infinitely recursive macro definitions.".

Last version of the macro code

| eval st_v = $start_v$, ed_v = $end_v$, value_list = $val$
| eval nx_v = st_v + 1
| eval value_list = case(st_v < ed_v, value_list . st_v . "," . `GEN_VALUE_LIST(nx_v, ed_v, value_list)`,

st_v == ed_v, value_list . st_v,
1==1, value_list)
The macro definition
GEN_VALUE_LIST(3) with these arguments
start_v, end_v, val

Query to test
| makeresults
`GEN_VALUE_LIST(3,6,"1,")`
| table *

Although I'm keen to understand SPLUNK's issue with it (code transferred to perl language works) I'd mostly appreciate a working solution beyond defining all possible list values in a lookup file 🙂

Many thanks in advance,
Ekke
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=db2_stat "(?<initial>\d+),(?<start>\d+):(?<end>\d+)"
| eval db2_stat_xlated=initial.",".mvjoin(mvrange(start, end+1),",")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

eherbst63
Explorer

Many thx, ITWhisperer, works absolutely fine 🙂

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=db2_stat "(?<initial>\d+),(?<start>\d+):(?<end>\d+)"
| eval db2_stat_xlated=initial.",".mvjoin(mvrange(start, end+1),",")
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...