Splunk Search

Problem with dates

jjcorral

Hi.

I'm doing searches on the indexed events of the last minutes or hours, and I get no results.
I see that the problem is that Splunk is generating events in 2011, when today's events.
Where does this by taking that date? How I can make it work?
I attached a picture to see the failure.

alt text

Thanks in advance.
Kindest regards.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Well, the problem is that it seems like Splunk mismatches the date portion by one position, i.e. your log has the format mm/dd/yy , but Splunk parses this wrong (uses the month for day and the year for month (if you have a en-US locale, hard to tell from the numbers))

Does this happen for all logs indexed by Splunk?
What is your system clock set to on the indexer? 2011?
What are the values for timestartpos and timeendpos for this particular event (you'll find them in the 'show all fields')?

You might have to specify this manually in props.conf, though I've never had to do that ever for winevt-logs.

[WinEventLog:Security]
TIME_FORMAT = %m/%d/%Y %I:%M:%S %p
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20

Hope this helps,

Kristian

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Oooh that is OLD. Sorry, I cant remember all that happened since then.

Did you try the props.conf settings?

/k

0 Karma

jjcorral

Thanks four your answer.

I have and European date. dd/mm/yy

If the data comes from WinEventLog:Security fails, if comes from windows_snare_syslog it´s ok.

No, the clock on the indexer are sntp sync.

I have no timestartpos and timeendpos, my Splunk version is old. The 3.8.4, but i can´t migrate it.

Exactly it take thet date bad, today is (in european format) 09/05/2012 und splunk gets 09/12/11

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...