Splunk Search

Nested SubQuery With NOT IN Clause

ayu2375
Engager

Hello,

I am looking for the equivalent of performing SQL like such:

SELECT transaction_id, vendor
FROM orders
WHERE transaction_id NOT IN (SELECT transaction_id FROM events).

As of right now I can construct a list of transaction_ids for orders in one search query and a list of transaction_ids for events in another search query, but my ultimate goal is to return order logs that do not share transaction_ids with the transaction_ids of the events log. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are many ways to do this, but the most appropriate method depends a lot on the actual data.  You really want to illustrate the dataset and explain the outcome, maybe with mockups.  It is fine to illustrate some ideas using a different language.  But how would orders and events be represented in Splunk, for example?  Do transaction_id and vendor already exist in data sources or is there some maneuver to extract them?  Such details can make a difference because SPL is fundamentally different from SQL.

Assuming orders and events are from two sourcetypes and fields are already extracted, you can do

sourcetype IN (orders, events)
| stats values(sourcetype) as sourcetype values(vendor) as vendor by transaction_id
| where sourcetype == events and mvcount(sourcetype) > 1

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk has written a manual to help SQL users transition to SPL.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.2/SearchReference/SQLtoSplunk

The NOT IN construct in SQL can be expressed as NOT and a subsearch.

index=orders vendor=* NOT [ index=events transaction_id=* | fields transaction_id ]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...