Splunk Search

Nested Search Question

mmccaugh9472
Observer

OK I have been reading most of the morning and I have to just be missing something very simple.

To explain what I am trying to do.

1. Lets take the simple query index=* host=*test*|dedup host|table host

This will obviously give me a unique list of hosts.

2. Second Query index=* host=*test* "Bleebles"|dedup host|table host

This query will give me a unique list of hosts where the string "Bleebles" was found. (Obviously this is just example data)

What I am trying (And failing) at is marrying these two queries up, and returning ONLY hostnames that DO NOT return records with the string "Bleebles" but of course issue #1 is when I invert the logic on search #2 I get EVERY record that has been splunked and doesn't match (Which is literally all the data) 

Can anyone help with the logic I am missing here, using the two very basic queries above how would I first generate the full host list (That's the easy part) but then print a deduped list of hostnames that did NOT return a result in query #2, thereby giving me an exceptions list?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this:

index=* host=*test* | eval hasString=if(match(_raw,"Bleebles"),1,0) | stats max(hasString) as hasString by host | where hasString=0 |table host
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=* host=*test* | where not match(_raw,"Bleebles")|dedup host|table host
0 Karma

mmccaugh9472
Observer

This one still gives me the entire list (Not just the exceptions) but what I wrote does work, I just need to figure out why it takes so long to run and what I can do to improve it.

But at least it is accurate which is a start! 

0 Karma

mmccaugh9472
Observer

OK I think I may have finally figured this out, posting what I did in case anyone else comes across this down the line.

index=* host=*test* | join type=outer host [ search index=* host=*test* "Bleebles" | stats count by host ] | where isnull(count) | dedup host | table host | sort by host

This appears to be working so far!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...