Splunk Search

Need string minus last 2 characters

rachelneal
Path Finder

I am trying to set a field to the value of a string without the last 2 digits. For example:

Hotel=297654 from 29765423
Hotel=36345 from 3624502

I tried rtrim but docs say you must know the exact string you're removing, mine are different every time. I also tried substr but the length is not constant from 1st character and using -2 like substr(Field, -2) returns the last 2 characters...the part I want to throw away.

Was trying something like rtrim(Field,substr(Field,-2) but can't get that to work.

Suggestions? - THANKS

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Or another way:

<your_search_here> | eval myfield = substr(myfield, 1, len(myfield)-2)

d.

-
please upvote if you find this answer useful

View solution in original post

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Or another way:

<your_search_here> | eval myfield = substr(myfield, 1, len(myfield)-2)

d.

-
please upvote if you find this answer useful

trijit
Engager

Can we do it the reverse way like:

string minus first 2 characters ?

0 Karma

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Rachel,
Using substr(myfield, 1, len(myfield)-2) is your best bet here. It turns out that rtrim will remove ALL matching characters that you supply:
ex. if a=201145454545 and you do b=rtrim(a, "45") b will end being: 2011. Also, sometimes Splunk will use scientific notation after a certain number length.

0 Karma

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yup, just tested it and you're right. It appears that this is happening with numbers only. Probably it has to do with arithmetic routines. I'll do some further investigation and perhaps touch base with engineering. Thanks.

0 Karma

rachelneal
Path Finder

Thanks d

Out of curiosity, do you know why "eval Hotel=rtrim(Hotel,substr(Hotel,-2)) " where Hotel was 29272905 returned 2.92729e04?

0 Karma

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi RachelNeal,

You can extract another field and do something like this:

<your_search_here> | rex field=myfield "(?<myfield>.*).{2}"

This would drop off the last two chars of myfield.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...