Splunk Search

Need help with timestamp recognition

hethu
Path Finder

I have struggled with getting splunk to recognize timestamps in timestamps from an udp input. I have tried for many hours to figure this out, trying out suggestions found on forum. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

My events comes in like this, where splunk has added a extra timestamp in exactly the same format as the one at the start of the message. So the events message start with two identical timestamps as seen below, the blacked out part is the Ip-adress. Clearly splunk does not recognize this timestamp an puts on it's own with the time of indexing. 

hethu_0-1601539548722.png

I have tried to remove the ":" at the end of timestamp with no success, and i have also edited the props.conf

Props.conf:
-----------------
[syslog_multiline]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE =
DATETIME_CONFIG =
LINE_BREAKER =
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
category = Operating System
disabled = false
pulldown_type = 1
TIME_FORMAT = %b %d %H:%M:%S
TIME_PREFIX =
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 17

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hethu,

the approach when there are two timestamps in a log is to identify the correct one with TIME_PREFIX.

e.g. if you have a log like this:

Oct 01 10:10:56 10.10.10.10 Oct 01 10:09:12 fbdiunfuyfdixinuifniudniuin

and you want the second timestamp, you should use as TIME_PREFIX the following regex:

TIME_PREFIX = ^\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+\s+

In this way, you say to Splunk to use the second timestamp.

Obviously, the TIME_PREFIX depends on your logs so, if you have a different source, you have to find the correct regex for the TIME_PREFIX.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hethu,

the approach when there are two timestamps in a log is to identify the correct one with TIME_PREFIX.

e.g. if you have a log like this:

Oct 01 10:10:56 10.10.10.10 Oct 01 10:09:12 fbdiunfuyfdixinuifniudniuin

and you want the second timestamp, you should use as TIME_PREFIX the following regex:

TIME_PREFIX = ^\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+\s+

In this way, you say to Splunk to use the second timestamp.

Obviously, the TIME_PREFIX depends on your logs so, if you have a different source, you have to find the correct regex for the TIME_PREFIX.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @hethu,

good for you.

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
The easy way to test it is put that data to the file and then use your dev splunk to play with it until you get it working.
r. Ismo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...