Splunk Search

Multiple values per key in one record

blurblebot
Communicator

If I have records with multiple k/v pairs with the same keyname, can I parse that through Splunk search language or by massaging the confs so that each k/v pair is reflected in the results of searches against it?

For instance, assuming these records are alone in their index:

3/30/2011 04:53:22 index=Org_Personnel Name=Herbert Name=Yancey Name=Bartleby Department=Acquisitions 

3/30/2011 04:53:22 index=Org_Personnel Name=Carol Name=Cyril Name=Lana Name=Mallory Department=IT

(the second line is to illustrate that number of kv pairs can vary from one record to the next)

Now my simple search:

index=Org_Personnel |stats count(name)

How would I make that return "7" instead of "2" as it would without modification?

Thank you in advance.

-s

1 Solution

hazekamp
Builder

Blurblebot,

You can do this via props/transforms like so. The trick is to use MV_ADD http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Admin/Transformsconf:

## props.conf
[<your_sourcetype>]
REPORT-name_for_your_sourcetype = name_for_your_sourcetype

## transforms.conf
[name_for_your_sourcetype]
REGEX = Name=(\S+)
FORMAT = name::$1
MV_ADD = True

View solution in original post

hazekamp
Builder

Blurblebot,

You can do this via props/transforms like so. The trick is to use MV_ADD http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Admin/Transformsconf:

## props.conf
[<your_sourcetype>]
REPORT-name_for_your_sourcetype = name_for_your_sourcetype

## transforms.conf
[name_for_your_sourcetype]
REGEX = Name=(\S+)
FORMAT = name::$1
MV_ADD = True

blurblebot
Communicator

Small capitalization correction on your answer:

FORMAT = Name::$1

blurblebot
Communicator

Beauty. Thanks!

ftk
Motivator

You beat me to it!

0 Karma

blurblebot
Communicator

Sorry about the last title. That was bad form.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...