I need to parse logs (windows events) that look roughly like this:

field1=[value1]
field2=[value2]
field3=[value3]
Description:
blah [subvalue 1.1] blah blah [subvalue 2.1] [subvalue 3.1]
blah [subvalue 1.2] blah blah [subvalue 2.2] [subvalue 3.2]
blah [subvalue 1.3] blah blah [subvalue 2.3] [subvalue 3.3]

I've looked at mvexpand and the docs about fields.conf, but I don't see how to get the values from different parts of the record. The above should be treated as 3 events which all have the same value for field[1-3] and different values for subvalue[1-3]

I already have regex's that will parse each line in the description portion.

0 Karma
1 Solution

itinney
Path Finder

Yes it seems that the 's' modifier is on by default which has the effect that '.' will match new-lines. You can selectively turn off any of the 4 modifiers by prefixing them with a '-'.

Just to be clear, the 'm' modifier changes the behaviour of the anchors '^' and '$'. When 'm' is off, '^' means match the beginning of a string and '$' means match the end of a string. If the string happens to be a multi-line event then '^' matches the start of the event and '$' matches the end of the event (not the end of a line).

With the 'm' modifier turned on '^' matches the start of a line and '$' matches the end of a line. So '(?m)^foo.*bar$' will match the word 'foo' at the beginning of any line and then zero of more characters up to the string 'bar' at the end of the line (just before a newline character).

If you want '.' to match across multiple lines you use the 's' modifier. So '(?sm)^foo.*bar' will match the word 'foo' at the beginning of any line and then zero or more characters (including newline characters) greedily until it finds the word bar at the end of a line.

Spunk appear to have switched on the 's' modifier in 4.3? so that '.*' is always matching newlines. To turn this behaviour off and restore the default for PCRE you need to use the '-s' notation. So to turn on multi-line matching and turn off single-line mode you would say '^(?m-s)foo.*bar'

View solution in original post

itinney
Path Finder

Yes it seems that the 's' modifier is on by default which has the effect that '.' will match new-lines. You can selectively turn off any of the 4 modifiers by prefixing them with a '-'.

Just to be clear, the 'm' modifier changes the behaviour of the anchors '^' and '$'. When 'm' is off, '^' means match the beginning of a string and '$' means match the end of a string. If the string happens to be a multi-line event then '^' matches the start of the event and '$' matches the end of the event (not the end of a line).

With the 'm' modifier turned on '^' matches the start of a line and '$' matches the end of a line. So '(?m)^foo.*bar$' will match the word 'foo' at the beginning of any line and then zero of more characters up to the string 'bar' at the end of the line (just before a newline character).

If you want '.' to match across multiple lines you use the 's' modifier. So '(?sm)^foo.*bar' will match the word 'foo' at the beginning of any line and then zero or more characters (including newline characters) greedily until it finds the word bar at the end of a line.

Spunk appear to have switched on the 's' modifier in 4.3? so that '.*' is always matching newlines. To turn this behaviour off and restore the default for PCRE you need to use the '-s' notation. So to turn on multi-line matching and turn off single-line mode you would say '^(?m-s)foo.*bar'

aarcro
Explorer

Thank you so much! (?m-s) does get this working.

0 Karma

aarcro
Explorer

Here's what I've got in my transforms.conf right now, but it's not working:

[section_name]
MV_ADD = true
SOURCE_KEY = _raw
REGEX =(^\w+\([^ ]+) (\w+) (.+) (((\d+) bytes) )?using (.+)$)+
FORMAT = user::$2 action::$3 path::$4 size::$6 method::$7

I've tried with and without (?m), but . still seems to match newlines. My records have between 1 and lots of lines that match REGEX, I want each match to add values to the multivalue fields: user, action, path, size and method.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...