Splunk Search

Metrics average

alakdam
Path Finder

Hi,

I am new to splunk metrics search. I am AWS/EBS metrics to splunk. I want to calculate the average throughput and number of IOPS for my Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS) volume. I found solutions the solution in AWS: https://repost.aws/knowledge-center/ebs-cloudwatch-metrics-throughput-iops, I don't know how to search it in Splunk. 

This is the max I can do atm 

| mpreview index=my-index | search namespace="AWS/EBS" metricName=VolumeReadOps

Really appreciate, if someone help me out, 

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I assume that my-index is a metrics index.  But still unclear what is being asked.  Generally only you will know what data you get back from AWS/EBS and which metrics are of interest to your use case.   Once you know which metrics you are interested in and what kind of stats (e.g., avg) you want to perform, mstats is your friend.

If you have difficulty figure out which metrics are available, mstats is also your friend:

| mstats count(*) as * where index=my-index ``` my-index must be a metric index ```
| transpose column_name=metric_name

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I assume that my-index is a metrics index.  But still unclear what is being asked.  Generally only you will know what data you get back from AWS/EBS and which metrics are of interest to your use case.   Once you know which metrics you are interested in and what kind of stats (e.g., avg) you want to perform, mstats is your friend.

If you have difficulty figure out which metrics are available, mstats is also your friend:

| mstats count(*) as * where index=my-index ``` my-index must be a metric index ```
| transpose column_name=metric_name

Hope this helps.

Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...