Splunk Search

Manual additions to savedsearches.conf overwritten by web GUI

noahzstahl
Engager

Hello everyone.

The scenario:

1. I create a saved search using Splunk web
  2. I want to use the search to populate a lookup table, so I add the relevant lines directly to the entry in savedsearches.conf (action.populate_lookup), and save. (These configurations can't be added through Manager, as far as I know)
  3. Later, I want to make a change to the saved search, and do so through the Manager within web GUI. I click Save.
  4. I notice that the lookup population configuration lines in savedsearches.conf have been deleted, apparently due to the entire stanza being overwritten by Splunk web.

The question:

Is there any way to avoid this scenario, i.e. have Splunk web be non-destructive to the saved search stanzas? Or could this be considered a bug?

Thanks,

Noah

0 Karma
1 Solution

hazekamp
Builder

noahzstahl,

I would think this is a bug. We should not be overwriting the entire stanza. As a workaround you can use the inputlookup and outputlookup search commands to generate the lookup file instead of savedsearches.conf settings. This allows you to achieve everything via search syntax.

Example of a descructive output each time:

search = index=_internal | stats count by host, sourcetype | outputlookup my_lookup_table

To do a non-descructive lookup (useful when tracking stuff):

search = index=_internal | stats count by host, sourcetype | inputlookup append=T my_lookup_table | stats sum(count) as count by host, sourcetype | outputlookup my_lookup_table

-David

View solution in original post

hazekamp
Builder

noahzstahl,

I would think this is a bug. We should not be overwriting the entire stanza. As a workaround you can use the inputlookup and outputlookup search commands to generate the lookup file instead of savedsearches.conf settings. This allows you to achieve everything via search syntax.

Example of a descructive output each time:

search = index=_internal | stats count by host, sourcetype | outputlookup my_lookup_table

To do a non-descructive lookup (useful when tracking stuff):

search = index=_internal | stats count by host, sourcetype | inputlookup append=T my_lookup_table | stats sum(count) as count by host, sourcetype | outputlookup my_lookup_table

-David

noahzstahl
Engager

Thanks David. I like the idea of including everything in the search string.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...