Splunk Search

Lookup/Inputlookup

rajuljain2605
Explorer

I have run a search query in Splunk which return all the events contained "API call" initiated from some "IP_address" . I have one lookup attacker_ip.csv which contain blacklisted IP. I need to compare "IP_address" from search result to "attacker_ip" in attacker.csv. And print all the events for which "IP" matched.

Please help...

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rajuljain2605,

Try this search query: <query to get data from Splunk index> | search [| inputlookup attacker_ip.csv | rename attacker_ip AS IP_address].
This query gives you all events where IP address is blacklisted in csv file.

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

if you share the search and lookup headers, it would help. Also, in your lookup, always have atleast 2 columns, say, attacker_ip,status. The status can be whitelist (or valid etc..)

index=yoursearch  IP_address=*  | inputlookup attacker_ip.csv  IP_address AS attacker_ip OUPUT status | where status=whitelist  

The above will return matched results (IP matches between events and lookup)

0 Karma

rajuljain2605
Explorer

I have lookup named attacker_ip.csv which is having more then two fields clientIpAddress,status etc. I need to match filed "IP_Address" from my search events to the field "ClientIpAddress" in csv and return table of those events for which IP got matched

My search is below-

index=prod* sourcetype=log4j API_Client:* | eval Impersonator_Uuid=if(isnotnull(impersonatorUuid),impersonatorUuid,"NA")
|inputlookup attacker_ip.csv clientIpAddress AS IP_Address

which is not working..

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

if you run the search

index=prod* sourcetype=log4j API_Client:* | eval Impersonator_Uuid=if(isnotnull(impersonatorUuid),impersonatorUuid,"NA")  | fillnull value="N/A" "IP_Address"  | stats count by "IP_Address" , are you seeing valid IPs? If so, then you can run index=prod* sourcetype=log4j API_Client:* "IP_Address"=* | eval Impersonator_Uuid=if(isnotnull(impersonatorUuid),impersonatorUuid,"NA") |inputlookup attacker_ip.csv ClientIpAddress AS "IP_Address"   it should give you matched results.

Pls note that the field names are case sensitive and assume no space between IP and _?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...